Paw Paw Tree Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paw Paw Tree Fruit

Just found out about Them a few year's ago and never tried one yet but I found a bunch of Them finally. I'll probably get some pic's after They ripen (leaves begin to change and Fruit becomes soft) but if You have some please share. Rick, if You see this that Thing that looked like a rotten Potato near that Etley was a Paw Paw I believe.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Josh - I've seen em but don't recall ever having eaten one.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• JoshinMO
      JoshinMO commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, a few day's ago I was walking down a Trail and there They were. Went to a different Spot and there's a bunch there. Kind of anxious but not ready yet. Right now out here they look like small green Potato's, on a Tree. Leaves remind Me of Hickory but bigger, but I heard The Tree's only get to about 25 feet.

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      The ones we have around here aren't more than 10-15' tall. I'm gonna do some checking with my neighbor to see if he's ever eaten any. He was born and raised on this mountain so I can't imagine him not having that experience. I'll let ya know what I find out.

There is a town northwest of me about 50 miles named Paw Paw...I have never seen any in my area but they do grow in Illinois...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey Josh - Came across his link while researching Paw Paw's. https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/...w/cooking.html You can eat them raw or cooked and they can be made into beer, wine or brandy. That's quite a fruit. I gotta try one and see what it tastes like. It's likened to a banana.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

We have tons of Pawpaw trees but I rarely see them fruit. I think you have to plant a pollinater from another colony to make them fruit.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you may be right Andy. I believe they're just like the Osage Orange or Horse Apple trees that abound. Have to have both a male and female but darned if I can tell the difference.

If you have any questions, just ask Baloo... He'll lay out the " bear necessities " for you....
        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Hey Josh, funny that you posted this, I was going to post something about these trees because I didn't know they existed until last year. I found out about them from doing research about local NA history and trying to pin point old camp sites. I thought I knew a lot about the local plant and animal life around me, but somehow I missed this tree. One of the local names for it is the "Indian banana tree" because it's rumored that the NA used it as a food source, and more importantly, it was one of the first plants "cultivated" in north america. After the fruit was eaten, the seeds were planted along the Indian trails to insure an easy food source for the NA as they traveled from place to place. It's said, if you find a big patch of Paw Paw trees growing near a path in the woods, near a stream...probably a good spot to look for artifacts. On a side note, there is apparently a group of people out there that hunt down the fruit. Kind of like mushroom collectors. I guess it gets kind of competitive, who gets the ripe fruit first kind of thing. I was lucky enough to try one last year. Not really impressed. Kind of tasted like a mix between a potato and a banana. A little bland.
          Central Ohio

Comment

The Paw Paw has unusual flowers, and there's an interesting way of attracting pollinators.. @ 3:min.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Olden

Keep an eye on them trees Josh..

Making paw paw wine with Serpent Mound water..

A less formal version of Paw Paw wine

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

We have them on our property in Georgia Josh . They kind of taste lake a banana mixed with another type of fruit . Really good .

Comment

I liken them to a mango or papaya. I've found them right down the road from my house, bordering one of the sites I hunt. They're really a great fruit and they're making a comeback in MO. Got a buddy who planted a nice grove of them last year to help draw deer in to his property.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Omg Josh I have been singing the paw paw song to my granddaughter all day . She is 7 and loves to learn new songs . We have to goggle them and hear them all .
                  Byw I read somthing awhile ago about the amazing Health`` properties of this fruit . Also I have never seen one that tall or maybe I am not looking . They are all like bushes at our place and another guys place to so juveniles giving fruit .

Comment

• Andy W.
                    Andy W. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe they arent wild?

I'd like to buy some of the different cultivars if the price were right. I checked that KSU website from the video and couldnt find any links to sellers.

Comment

Yeah I am just getting started on whatto plant . Why , when where.
                    Dont laugh bitvill put some daffodil bulbs in this fall so when I come back in the spring they will welcome me with the blackberries .
                    kind of keeping it wild but want a civilized area .
                    lots of rock steps and a fire pit . I’ll start a post on help with that . The young man that was helping us took off to manage
                    Timber farms . Ahh his knowledge is going to be so valuable .

Comment

I used to eat them all the time when I was a kid. They do taste sorta like a banana, and the tree doesn’t get very big...maybe 15-20’ max. Deer love them, coons love them, and hogs too.
                      they are like a banana in that the older they get, the sweeter they are....and my great gramma used to make some kind of fried pie with them. I remember them being awesome...
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                      X