Allie's Bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allie's Bull

Yesterday was opening day here for general rifle season. Our hunting district is a special one. You have to apply months in advance for a lottery style drawing for bull elk permits. You have less than a 2 percent chance of drawing the coveted tag. My eldest daughter drew this "golden ticket". At 14 and only able to apply for 2 years she got extremely luckly. Her luck held out on opening day. We were up on top before daylight and got in position on 5 bulls we scouted the previous night. When daylight broke they were gone... Ive been hunting here my whole life and went with a hunch. Some desperate running later and we were set up on the sticks in hopes they would filter by us. They did. The bull we were after stepped out first. 264 yards away. I told her not to shoot till i could verify it was the right one. As i was studying the bull in the binos a second bull appeared behind the one. I verified the first bull was the one and told her to hold right in the middle of him. She let one go.. sounded like a stick hitting a drum. Direct hit, on the wrong one..... she thought i gave her the green light on the second bull. A follow up shot later, and her consolation prize was hers... i think many may agree that it is a very good consolation prize...
    Judith Basin, Montana

your daughters a luckier hunter than I’ve ever been Lol ! Big congrats to her man, that’s alot of good eatin”! And congrats to you as well, great job putting it all together, that’s one big proud papa smile that you earned. Making memories that last beyond the meals
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OUTSTANDING!

That is an awesome bull! I could only dream of getting something like that! Congrats on an outstanding trophy, and enough meat to last until they get their driving license!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Chad - That was an awesome Father Daughter experience. I can imagine her telling this story around future campfires with her children. It's a bond few people get to experience. Congratulations to both of you.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

WOW If that was the consolation prize I have no idea how much better first place would have been.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Sweet what a good day for you guys...congrats Allie
            SW Connecticut

Comment

wow, that is awesome! congrats to her, that’s a very nice trophy! Good job dad, she will remember that day for ever and it’s a great bonding experience for you both. She’s no slouch taking a shot from that distance...what caliber was she shooting? I’ve hunted white tail most of my life and always wanted to take an elk some day....I can’t imagine a hunt like that....hunt of a lifetime!
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

So much “win” for you all there. Congrats...as a father of a young girl also, I am a bit jealous.👍👍👍

and that that bull is beautiful!
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wow I'm sitting here wondering what the first bull looked like. Congrats !
                  east Tx.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                    Kentucky point commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You and me both, man!

Congratulations to the young huntress. That is an awesome bull.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Chad, Congrats to your daughter and her proud Pa. That is an awesome bull elk. I love the story.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by cgode View Post
                      wow, that is awesome! congrats to her, that’s a very nice trophy! Good job dad, she will remember that day for ever and it’s a great bonding experience for you both. She’s no slouch taking a shot from that distance...what caliber was she shooting? I’ve hunted white tail most of my life and always wanted to take an elk some day....I can’t imagine a hunt like that....hunt of a lifetime!
                      She shoots an old model 700 in 243. 95 grain bullets sighted 1.5 inches high at 50 yards. Dead back on at 300 yards.
                      Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        Wow I'm sitting here wondering what the first bull looked like. Congrats !
                        The first bull had better tines, longer beams, and 7 on each side. I would guess him around 370.
                        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• hudson
                          hudson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That would have been an awesome bull. I And the one she took is pretty awesome too. How long did it take to get it out ?
                          Last edited by hudson; 10-21-2018, 07:00 PM.

Hey Chad, I have several rifles and the model 700 Remington is my favorite. I have two 700s in .222 and .270. They are both very flat shooting. Allie is shooting one of the best rifles out there.
                        Michigan Yooper
                        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• hudson
                          hudson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          cgode I bet that 7 mag puts a whitetail on the ground.(and then some)

• cgode
                          cgode commented
                          Editing a comment
                          hudson....I had adopted head shots only by the time I stopped using my 308 auto loader and bought the 700....and yes, a head shot is like a light switch with that round! flat shooting and accurate as all get out....love it!

• Cskelton
                          Cskelton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The 222s are smokers. Ive taken guys coyote calling that shoot them.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        That would have been an awesome bull. I And the one she took is pretty awesome too. How long did it take to get it out ?
                        Not long. It died where, with a little wiching, we could load it into a polaris ranger. When we were moving it over to the truck at the road, some of the RMEF (Rocky mountain elk foundation) guys were driving by and stopped. They were very impressed with her accomplishment. They are going to put her picture in Bugle magazine, sometime in a future edition.
                        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• hudson
                          hudson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That always a big help. Congrats to Allie for making the magazine that is great. ( I think she has a walking stick I made from Chase ) We put one in a Chevy blazer one time with a little luck. The guys at the lodge couldn't believe we loaded it whole;
                          Last edited by hudson; 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM.
                      Working...
                      X