My first buck - 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first buck - 2016

It was an eventful day about two years ago today. It was Nov. 8, and we had a long day, followed by a sleepless night. I fell asleep at midnight, and got back up at 2 am. Never the less, we decided to hunt that afternoon. We have a deer stand in the woods about 100 yards from a bordering property. Every year there is a bumper crop of acorns there, so we called it acorn hill. It was about 3 pm when me and my dad got into the stand. For the next twenty minutes, all w could hear was ATV's and people yelling on the bordering property. Well, you can't hunt with all that noise, so we went over to see who it was. When we got there, one of the men present was belligerent and downright mean, cussing like a sailor. The other guy, stood and shook his head. We walked off and debated about calling it quits. There was one more stand to go to. We went, and set up in about 15 minutes. As soon as we finished setting up, we heard foot steps from behind us. I had almost no time to react. I just saw antlers, and large body mass and decided to take this deer. He came in and stopped momentarily. I aimed for his lung. I shot, and the arrow sailed into his lung, and out the heart. (quartering away), just the way I planned it. I walked up to him after a quick tracking job, and there he was. My first buck. Under scrutiny, you can see an acorn formation on his rack. Although quick, this was my favorite deer hunt, and one I won't forget.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0098.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	331246
    Last edited by Kentucky point; 11-09-2018, 07:48 AM.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Dang, congrats! Good luck this Year.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice first Buck, with a bow to boot! Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I like guns, but I hate the noise. Every animal I have taken has been with a bow, or crossbow.

That's a great looking first buck KP! It's that time of year get back out there.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Tsk tsk no politics , great buck
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Nice buck...that's a cool story and congrats on that first one...looks like a good size and with a bow...and you were what? 14 yrs old? That took some skill.. good for you KP

SW Connecticut

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Just turned fourteen. I got my first deer with a bow on my twelfth birthday. I have been hunting turkeys with a crossbow since I was nine.

Now that’s a good story . Great attitude you and your father and it paid off .
        Thats a nice buck man . Hope you mount those antlers . We have a pair of Wayne’s Dads that are 50 years old over our front door at the cabin . . Pass them down it’s all in the story like the hunt .
        I love it !!!!

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I got them mounted. Pic coming soon!

And a bow I really need to get on that !!

Comment

Working...
        X