Mennonites .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mennonites .

These Mennonite people around here sure do nice metal work.. They’ve almost finished up a few additions to the barns and portch out back . They do everything including the wiring but I had to make em redo a bunch on the electrical .... They think # 12 wire will handle everything. I had to explain to them that a compressor, hot water heater, ac & heat , fridge, drier , and washing machine would need number 6 wire coming in and number 10 going to the drier and ac/ heater units... They are really different people that come up from Mexico. They are German folks that speak usually 3 languages, I can speak fair english and good espanol to them.. I speak a a little deutsch to get by..
    If I go over to see em about some of the work , they invite me in but ya never see their women..I guess they are in the utility closet with the cleaning utinsils..I do see em with their women at Costco or Sams.. I’d wrestle a couple of them gals for their boots ! Anyway they do build nice buildings.Im proud of the work thus far...... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

they certainly are old school craftsmen,along with the amish folks

my dad has many amish friends and a few mennonites.he helps them out quit a bit,giving rides into town,on their farms etc.
    once in awhile they give him some home made bread and other baked goods.its about the only time he sees any of the women folks too.

i think its their custom that the women leave the men to their manly business and the men leave the women to their womanly business

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Sir
      If I were a young man , nothing against my wife of course. And knew then what I know now... I’d of gone up north and got myself a Amish gal that could pull a plow ! Also , I’d love her beautiful braids coming out from under her sleeves !

We have a shop in town, called Weavers. I forget if they are Amish or Mennonite, but they run a nice business. The women slice the meats and cheeses, and when you walk in, you can smell pies, cakes and breads all prepared by there daughters. The few men in the shop stock the shelves and handle the cash register. It's a great little shop. Outside, they have some exquisite wood furniture. Hand carved toys, benches, tables and miscellaneous objects. They used to have a garage, and the line of cars would spill out onto the streets! They also own a greenhouse and garden center. On a warm day, you can see them riding horses and buggies into town. They are a hard working group, and we are glad to have them!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      They are good people, work hard.

I can’t wait to look this up . Never ever heard of them . Only Amish . Was looking at some of their pre fab log cabins .

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Tam
      There are getting to be a lot of mennonites .. The main one in my construction barn said he had 12 children .. My though was OMG !!!

Is that addition on your place JJ?..Ive been an electrician for 45 yrs...good call in the number 6 wiring
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Also, I must say I’m impressed with the Mitsubishi heater/ cooling units.. They are so quiet... I had em put a bathroom in the corner inside that building with sink and shower.. Come in from town and the girls always need to p ....

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a heat pump?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Yes Red. It’s a heat pump and ductless too...

They do awesome work here as well .And they are honest workers . We have a pretty large population of Mennonites in my area of SC. We used to travel to Berlin, Ohio and I loved going to their furniture stores .They were Amish . It was our church group that would go and one of our members was very good friends with an Amish family. Our group ate with the Amish family and it was quite the experience. The men all ate together and ate first .No one could begin to eat until the elder started to eat. Then the women ate . Tam, I found the perfect cabin at an Amish builder's site .It was about 1000 square feet . We are still considering the cabin .
    South Carolina

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Josie - is that cabin prefab or do they build on site. That could be a super deal, especially for a DIY'er.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Josie
      That eating practice that have , I can’t agree with.. I don’t think I could eat first thinking the kids were hungry .....

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Chuck, the cabin is Modular or built on site. I will try to find the paperwork to show you a picture.

The Mennonites down your way are Russian Mennonites. In the 1700's the Anabaptist peoples were leaving Germany, France, and Switzerland and one group took up an offer to go to settle the Volga region of Russia and another accepted an offer from William Penn to settle his land grand in what is now Pennsylvania. The Russian ones didn't do so well once the Soviets took over, the lucky ones ended up in Latin America (Mexico, Belize, Paraguay, Bolivia), Canada, and Kansas. The ones that came to the US spread wide in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and elsewhere. Up until recently big families were the norm, so there are a lot of us. Mennonites have slowed down since most don't work on farms anymore, but the Amish to this day are still one of the fastest growing populations in the US, doubling about every 20 years.

Here's my son standing infront of a school in the town founded by my 7th Great Grandfather who settled in Lancaster County Pennsylvania in 1717. (My last name is Ream.)

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      All I know is, is that they speak three languages, with what they call low German ..They are Mexican nationals and go freely from Mexico to America . I guess they have a green card ? They don’t celebrate our traditional Holliday’s . They are honest !

• 11KBP
      11KBP commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some great family history you have there Joshua.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that, Joshua. Great family history!

We have a lot of the traditional type of Mennonite's here north of Belleville Ontario Can. we even have a horse and buggy lane for them down hwy.62, I know several people who have had metal roof's installed and other work done by them and were very happy with the work they did, I know who I'll be calling when I need to. Though I am not a Mennonite myself I grew up in a modern Mennonite community and even went to Sunday school and boy's club in a Mennonite church in the hamlet of Haggerman's Corner's near the town of Marham ON. Mennonites are top notch people.

Comment

Working...
    X