Christmas Comet and Geminid Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Comet and Geminid Shower

Here are images of Comet Wirtanen, aka the Christmas Comet, and photos from the Geminid meteor shower...

Comet Wirtanen. Someone took a photo with the comet looking like the star atop a Christmas tree. Very cool....

Geminid shower:

In mid-December 2018, the 2018 Geminid meteor shower peaked in what was the best meteor shower of the year. See amazing photos of the 2018 Geminids in our photo gallery here.

Rhode Island

I always try to watch meteor showers, but I never see any. As soon as I show up, they all go home, lol! Those are awesome pictures too, btw.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Even if it's not one of the named showers, on a warm and clear night, lay in the yard, keep the eyeballs peeled, and you should see 4-5 "shooting stars" per hour. We're clouded over here, but, I confess, I hate getting up at 2 am and driving to a not so well lit spot, lol. But the Geminids are usually one of the better such showers.

Yes I read that comet was to be viewed in the Southern Hemisphere , best chance to see with naked eye tonight . It’s suppose to be overcast but I’ll go out and look.
    JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Those are great shots Charlie . Yes seeing a good shooting star is a trill . We all go out for the space station . I have a neighbor that tells me the time and direction . Pops up and we watch it go by .
      If you go out and look into the sky long enough you are sure to see one of the many satilites going by .

Comment

Helpful image for locating the comet over the next few nights. I’ll

Comment

By far the most spectacular comet I have seen was Comet Bennett in 1970, which was a complete surprise one very early Spring morning. A friend wanted to show me the Long and Ell Ponds wilderness area in western RI. This involved clammering over large glacial rock dumps and mounting a steep hill, followed by climbing up a tall ledge overlooking Long Pond. It was pitch black, and we used flashlights, and my friend as a guide. As we sat on the ledge, there was the stunning comet pointing straight down in the eastern sky. As the sun rose, revealing the spectacular view, that I had never seen before, the comet actually remained visible rising above the sun as the sun rose. What a spectacular sight, seeing this wilderness area for the first time by the light of day and a stunning comet clearly still visible as the sun rose. Unforgettable. Years later, the wife and I observed Comet Hale-Bopp, with its twin tail, using her telescope, but nothing beat my experience with the relatively unhearalded Comet Bennett:

http://www.futura-sciences.us/dico/d...omet-50006047/

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1914.JPG Views:	1 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	338477

Last edited by CMD; 12-17-2018, 08:46 AM.
          Rhode Island

Comment

The sky shows are just awesome. I remember going to the Grand Canyon as a kid. Mom and Dad took us on a star gazing tour. Amazing...just amazing...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
            X