New Hunt Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hunt Area

Some time ago, I posted an item in this same topic regarding a clear cutting operation, here in the mountains, near my home. I mentioned that I was gonna try to find out who owned the land and get permission to hunt the logging roads for artifacts. Well I actually got it done. I got permission to hunt the logging roads that they are using to log the mountain but, I found out in the process, that he owns a very very large acreage of mountain land. Everyday when I go to work I pass a couple of areas around the mountains that have logging equipment sitting or logging activity ongoing and these areas are 3 - 4 miles around the mountain. Those are his logging crews but in these areas they're selective cutting but still use logging roads. This opens up a very large area for me to hunt and could keep me busy for a very very long time. With all this rain we're getting now I can hardly wait to get started.
    Have been watching this logging operation for about 3 months now. I was really surprised to see it. My neighbor, who has been a logger ever since they hauled
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

I'm Subscribing to This Chuck.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josh. If the weather holds - I'm gonna try a walkabout Saturday or Sunday. It's been really raining lately and if I'm gonna find anything I need to be out there before the equipment starts running again. Stay tuned and we'll see.

Im with Josh, you being excited makes me excited Chuck. Can't wait to see what you find!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hang with me KP and we'll see what gives. I'll be sure to take pics and post my walks.

Yes ...you should be excited Chuck
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Red - nothing like letting someone else do the hard work for you Huh. The loggers turn the ground up, Mother Nature washes it down and I just walk and hunt. Not bad at all.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha that's funny ..plus you get some good excersize. . So its the total package... A nd didn't cost you anything....good luck

Good luck!
    South Dakota

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Gary. New areas are always intriguing while they're new. Hopefully this one is big enough that it'll take me awhile to get through it all.

I am almost as excited as you Chuck. Kudos to you my friend.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce. It's like a belated Christmas present.

That's wonderful Chuck I hope it turns out to be a very productive area!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sugaree - Me too.

Good luck Chuck!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg. Appreciate ya

Chuck I hope you find a point to rival the dovetail your granddaughter found!!

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be awesome Paul but I don't think it's gonna happen. With all the heavy equipment working that area I'm just hoping to find something intact.

Chuck, that is exciting! Can't wait to see your finds!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      You and me both Josie. But it's sooooo wet. I rained all night and there's about 2 inches of water running through my back yard.

My boots are shaking to get out there .. oh man and all this rain . I love what Josh said I will subscribe to this .
    My neighbor clear cut last spring 150 acres . We peaked in trying to see the work and found 2 giant spalls . By the time I got back in Nov it was all overgrown ... just a FYI TRY to get out before the weeds and snakes .

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I should be able to beat the weeds and snakes but they wouldn't stop me anyway. I've walked lots of logging roads and only came across two poison snakes - one Copperhead and a Timber rattler. I just watched and waited while they continued on their way. I'm always very mindful of where I put my feet and always on the lookout. Now I have to scan the surrounding area for Black Bears that are starting to become more prevalent in our area.

Hard to say it but I shoot um . The poisonous ones . Going to start using the skin to wrap the walking sticks . Those timber rattlers have some nice color .
    To many kids playing .

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I find them near the house where the kids usually are, I kill them but when I come across them in their environment - I let em pass - unless they're aggressive then that changes the equation for me. Copperheads are notoriously aggressive so I keep a close eye out for them.

Honestly I don’t know how my brother and I made it . We would be playing and hear 4 rattlers going off . Just sit still . Wait it out . We were kids running the cal mountains loaded with them . Mountain lions ... camping and bears it’s crazy .
    surfing at dusk and sunup worst times ever .

Comment

Working...
    X