Story Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Time

Saturday my Son and I headed west to the Sandhills . On the way, the buggy windshield busted and flew off. My son corrects me on the buggy,” It’s a Side x Side Dad ! “ but it’s a buggy. I’m the buggy driver, he is the Banshee driver. We got there with no more incidents, to find that we were the only people there. It’s a very nice park with shaded tables, bbq pits and his / hers actual out houses. The Roswell riding club keeps the park clean with trash cans everywhere. It is said, that if a person throws out a beer bottle and they catch you, they will bust the bottle on your head as a reminder of the trash cans! We don’t drink booze. I drive easy with a occasional turn at drifting, which is fun.. I’m trying to teach my son about the sand, it was very dry and the Barchans ( Crescent dunes) were very dangerous. They would collapse underneath any machine. I was beginning to go sand blind, and told Auty we needed to ride the trails. I like to jump the barrier and go out of the park to the regular BLM land, so that is what we did. I took a few pics, and there are a lot of artifacts on the ground but to take is unlawful. That being said , no I did not take. My son has zero 0 zero interest in artifacts and after he overheated the Banshee and a loss of antifreeze, we had to take it back and park that machine. I asked Auty, “ Do you ever think about taking your thumb out of full throttle ? “ animalistic sound. He wanted to rest and look for the coolant leak, so I went out driving the worm trails, I came back to find him sleeping with only underwear on , on top of a picnic table, nice...It was 98 degrees and I took a temp reading of the sand at 150 F. After Auty woke up I made him drive me out of the park, and to let me out from time to time to look and examine artifacts. I did find a unusual combo Mano and Metate together, that had blown out of the sand. I did take a pic of that to show the gang as this set was the only second I’ve seen. The other pics are of flint and burnt / fire rock, and SW pottery shards everywhere. Lots of Mano stones everywhere. No pics of points to construe that I took any, I want that clear.
    Anyway, on the way back, Auty kept being a fidget , moving around with a angry stomach. We had to stop at Tatum and get a burger. Inside we met a young man that worked on the ranch below the park, he said that he was the one that had to get a tractor to pull those people that are dumb enough to drive their monster trucks into the dunes, out. We asked him if we could drive and look at that ranch( Private Land ) on our next trip out. He said that would be just fine, just don’t get stuck , ( Search site Score !) So we got his phone number ! With the human stomach full, doc destructor happy, driving back he kept up the fidgeting , I asked him if he had greased up before we left, “ No I forgot, “
    So we got back with a busted windshield , a coolant leak in one machine. I had a burnt bottom lip, and Auty has a bad case of monkey butt.... We had a good time... JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Extra pics
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 13 second vid of my wild man driving the Banshee, it won’t upload, sorry... JJ

Hey brother man .that sounds like a good outing with your son...you guys have adapted to the heat. ..i cant imagine me in the desert.. jj...iIburn with wind.....some cool pics man...glade ya scored a spot to hunt....that metate is cool
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      It’s really not to bad Red, with the humidity around 2% if you sweat the body cools nicely.. I’m good with heat, not with cold, if my feet get cold I’m done ! Sure wish y’all could see the short video...

MTell Auty if he is going to lay in his underwear get it wet first just like you ran through through the sprinklers .
    now I am not saying I did that 😏but it really works and cools ya down .
    sounds like good fun . We go 4 wheeling around this cliff to go fishing and diving . Wait past tense . Now everyone plays golf .

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      I was kind of glad that no other people were there when I drove up and saw him in that fashion. He does not care. I was thinking of the next group of people eating off the table, yak ! We often take spray bottles and fill them with water, spray each other wet, and cool off fast !

What is up with you and heat 😎😓You need to go to the Colorado River in the summer . Spent my teens to late 20’s and yes no humidity in heat is awesome . I can take a 110 deg day low hum over 88 and high hum

Comment

I absolutely love the desert. Beautiful pictures. Also great about littering, few things bother me more than seeing a beautiful landscape with Walmart bags snagged on the branches and fluttering in the wind.

Every time I go out, I can’t help but wonder how ancient peoples managed to thrive there. Heck, a lot of the smaller desert communities where I hunt are tough today, and they have a well tapped a couple hundred feet down that give them plenty of water.

Even carrying water... Sure you could carry a pot, or make a water skin/bladder, but they had to carry other stuff as well while hiking in the sand.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      In these areas the water level is near ground level . There are volunteer cottonwood trees in places, most of the other flora is shinnery oak which makes very large acorns. As for the fauna, we see mule deer, antelope , turtles , and child of earth bugs. I like the bugs, some of them a person can see their brains. They look like a giant ant with a wasp stinger.I could be wrong but I’m thinking the reason the NA people lived in these areas was for the water. A short dig and the water would fill in the hole. Your right, desert areas are totally beautiful !

Good times! I am not sure if I could bear the temptation. If I see something, I won't just let it sit there. I'd at least take it to management so it could be displayed possibly. I'm just that way I guess.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Well Ethan your right it is a temptation . The nearest field office is a hundred or so miles away from the site. ( BLM Office) Taking the combo would likely land me in front of a judge ! Now if I’d taken the buggy and ran over the combo, and smashed it to bits, that’s ok ! Just don’t take it. How much sense does that make ? I did examine the combo set but was reluctant to take more pics for display...

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a shame. Somebody would appreciate it if it was displayed, public or private. If not, someone WILL smash them to smithereens.
Working...
X