New fawns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fawns

I was going to wait till I got better pics but these little guys just showed up this morning . I have to resize them till it’s not so great but gives you an idea .
    The little curious one is looking down the road
    saying stop eating all those paw paws and berries I just know it . Or waiting for mama to stop .
    Last edited by Tam; 07-02-2019, 12:10 AM.

They're cool when they are that small. When the local farmer takes the hay, you can see fawns running hither and yon everywhere.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

In the first few weeks of fawn's lives, - before they are big enough to keep up - mom's will stash their babies for many hours each day while she wanders and browses.

Sometimes they will leave them under a bush, but often choose long grass for cover.

The fawns will obediently stay put and wait for mom's return to be fed.

The strategy for survival is not to be seen, so they flatten out to keep their profiles as low as possible.

In my experience, they offer two responses to disturbances in these situations.

They either will bolt at the last second or simply flatten out further effectively 'playing dead'.

Anyone ploughing or mowing long grass or crops in deer country during spring and early summer, needs to be very aware, or risk a tragic accident.

Love the pics, Tam.

California

Comment

I’ll look for a pic my sister in law sent . Young mother left her fawn flattened out under the SUV . It’s so cute when she comes back .

Comment

Working...
        X