Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer with no predators (aside from cars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer with no predators (aside from cars)

Visiting some family in Central New Jersey this week, and was amazed at the sheer number of deer just hanging around in yards, chilling in the shade, sleeping in flowerbeds, etc.

Here is a mother (missing her front leg), last year’s daughter still hanging around (missing a back leg) and a cute fawn with all her legs. They never stray much more than a couple houses on either side of my sister in laws house (apparently they aren’t great at crossing the road.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	381664
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Because of restricted hunting opportunities for sportsmen, the absence of free-running farm dogs, fewer hunters entering that demographic, this is what happens. Whitetail deer populations have exploded in recent years. It not only is occurring in NJ but all over the east and southeast. They are becoming a nuisance to homeowners who try to maintain landscaping plants that deer like to feed on. For suburbanites who know next to knowing about wildlife these are "cute" until they eat up all their roses. I was visiting in Nashville, TN a few weeks ago and took photos of a doe with three spotted fawns. The fawns were by then at least half her size. This was in a suburban area on the eastern edge of the city where thousands of people live.

Comment

This guy I like to call the burger king buck. He was living in the sump next to Burger King and I'm sure getting a few hand outs.

New York

Comment

Now the missing legs are a coyote vote in the house.
        They have that hyper breed up there that half wolf and could do that easily . I said trap .. Wayne said no .
        Clovis I went sking in Co and was just shocked to see 6 does just bedding down at the Safeway market like it was nothing .
        We are in their territory .

Comment

• clovisoid
          clovisoid commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sure coyotes are one of the reasons you see them bedding down in flowerbeds by peoples houses. They do get a decent percentage of fawns, and maybe got the legs. The momma-deer can hobble pretty well, but can’t run without falling. I can’t imagine that a coyote would have much trouble taking her down if they wanted to.

Coyotes are interesting here, lots of them and they have almost become super-raccoons raiding pet food bowls and garbage cans than becoming super-predators decimating deer/rabbit/woodchuck populations.
      Working...
      X