X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky to Live Here

This made my day...

San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

OMG it is NEVER quiet or dark in Tampa Bay. Never. You are very fortunate. Thx!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Even at my house 30 miles across the valley it's a refuge of quiet and the Milky Way at night is absolutely stunning.

Comment

That’s right, you a Coloradoian (?) and knew about Dinosaurs’ footprints in post of picture godson took. And, your sister lives in Amarillo. You are lucky! Gonna pm you with something else godson sent from Colorado.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
          Rio Del Norte commented
          Editing a comment
          Born in Amarillo, grandfather ranched in Carson county early 1900s
          moved to Colorado as a youngin', dad farmed...'bout the only one of family still here.

Saw where you commented on my Amarillo post. For some reason the site would not let me read it.. Thousands of artifacts were found in those dunes before it became a park, really outstanding museum quality too. But that was a long time ago..
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
          Rio Del Norte commented
          Editing a comment
          It was an amazing hunting area from over 10K years ago to modern. Still a special place today...

I’ll add to this and its going to sound weird . I have skied most of my life but very high altitudes . At the top it can be 13k ft . I just sit there and listen and smell .
        It’s rare to get that high and not have to blast down the hill because of weather and get to a hospitable altitude of 9 k ft .
        But up there I always think how many people in the world are at this altitude right now ?
        On one rare clear day I had the great chance of hearing nothing and I mean nothing but wind and it blowing through the pines . The next shock was only the smell of snow/water pines .
        People and their ways have a scent from food being cooked to just everything .
        It was a rare treat and is burnt in my mind forever .

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Not weird but wonderful! My smeller doesn’t work well anymore because allergies now almost year round. Should move to beach or place with no flowering plants or trees, I suppose! Smells so more than just molecules drifting up nostrils. Not only important for enjoyment of food, evokes memories and associations, serves as first warning certain dangers. Enjoy for me! Pumpkin pie and Christmas trees coming up...

Del Norte, I am jealous. I Absolutely love that part of Colorado. I have friends over the mountain to the west in Lake City.

that article mentions two “quiet parks” on earth, and unknowingly, I have been to both. The sound of silence is a beautiful thing.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
          Rio Del Norte commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, I hope there is an Amazon in the future...

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s an awful big place, and the hair-on-Fire crowd that carry on about the burning of the rain forest aren’t exactly honest and forthcoming about that. Are there fires in The amazon? Oh yeah, but it’s also a rain forest. Fires don’t do well in equatorial jungles, and even cleared lands don’t tend to stay cleared easily. To hear the climate change religionistas tell it, all you can see in south/Central America is smoke and ash. That’s not true. I saw evidence of exactly one fire while I was there, and it wasn’t even all that large. Cattle farmers had cleared timber and sold it, then cleared the land for grazing. They were just burning stumps and brush piles/tops. It wasn’t like they napalmed 20,000 acres and put up a barb wire fence and parachuted cattle in. I can’t hate on folks for wanting to eat beef.

It wasn't always so quiet around here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Gar...ze_of_eruption

Some wood that got covered up and later the node was spalled out and left in place for future use.
        Site geology/recovery/proxcemity of material indicate paleo timeframe.
        Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06881.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	398968 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06877.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	398969 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06879.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	398970 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06880.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	398971 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06878.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	398972

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            My, is that Beautiful!

• Rio Del Norte
            Rio Del Norte commented
            Editing a comment
            This is a medium size one of the half dozen recovered. For me it was an awesome discovery.
            Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 10-24-2019, 08:20 PM.
        Working...
        X