Victory garden!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory garden!

Mom taught me to love gardening, and this year I've put more work into the soil than ever before. The white and yellow coastal sand has taken 9 years to amend using various methods. I started three weeks early this year and it has paid off! Due to the lack of space the garden gets turned and then planted as deep as possible. Now the area averages three feet of good soil. There are 50 potato plants, 50 onions, 25 okra, hundreds of Bush bean plants, 20 cucumbers, and thanks to my new neighbor a ton of awesome tomatoes! He grew them from baker creek rare seeds, and that is definitely the way to go. Atomic grape, Dr. Witchey's, tie dyes and ponderosas aren't my usual early girl, better boy and beef steak varieties. Most of the tomatoes are in containers, it's amazing how a 45 gallon pot can grow 8 foot tall plants! I picked beans till my back hurt and filled two gallon bags, then decided to take a couple of new potatoes from the tops of a couple of plants. Now if I could just keep the hurricanes away for another two months!
    North Carolina

Great post David, grown in theU.S.A., nothing tastes sweeter.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

No pics showing for me
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Awesome sounds like a great garden. Share some photos
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Mmmm. Good stuff. Home grown food .. nice....put pics on
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Weird ...pics show for me...ill add again!
            North Carolina

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200522_181228-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.0 KB ID:	456153 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200522_181203-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	456154
              North Carolina

Comment

After a long day of work at the garden center all I want to do is come home and work on the garden. Yea I love working the land also! Can't wait to see the pics. Amazing you are already picking beans we just had a freeze in early May here in WNC. Baker Creek is my favorite seed company as well. I'm obsessed with growing obscure winter squash varieties.
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• utilized flake
                  utilized flake commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear you Marshall! Hope all is well in the mountains! Strange is the climate here in cackilacky! We never even had a freeze after December. The squash here gets eaten every season by the little yellow bugs, and infuriates me to no end so I gave up after trying container squash. I'm jealous!

• Sugaree
                  Sugaree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll bring you my favorite product for stopping squash bugs and Mexican bean Beatles. It's an organic byproduct of the rum making process called spinosid. That and using BT for the squash bores is key.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200517_172012-1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	456161 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200519_124008-1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	456160
                North Carolina

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200523_183527-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	456173
                  North Carolina

Comment

Wow good eats .
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice!
                      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Wow! 50 potato plants?!? Hope you have a root cellar! Planning to can or freeze your largesse?
                        Child of the tides

Comment

I froze some beans, but I'll give away most of the potatoes and cucumbers to family and neighbors once I've made tasziki sauce!!!
                          North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                          X