The Joys of Lockdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joys of Lockdown

One of the few joys of the lockdown measures we have had in place here is that parks and such have been relatively deserted.

We are particularly fortunate in that we have a ‘secret’ gate at the bottom of our garden which leads directly into a park which is a restored 18th century landscape garden, bypassing the pay-to-enter gate which has been closed. We do pay for a membership card though since the park is a registered charity.

It’s never crowded except when they have special events, but in recent weeks we have been literally the sole people able to enjoy it in splendid isolation. The bluebells are out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1Bluebells.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	459117

The gardens were originally constructed by the eccentric Charles Hamilton with a series of architectural ‘follies’ such as a ‘Chinese’ bridge and a Gothic temple (all of which have now been restored to their former glory:

Name:	2Chinese Bridge.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	459118 Click image for larger version

Name:	3Gothic Temple.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	459119 Click image for larger version

Name:	4Temple View.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	459120

In the distance you can see a ‘Turkish’ tent (built as a rigid structure, not from canvas):

Name:	5Turkish Tent.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	459121
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

There’s a ruined abbey by the (man made) lake… built as a ruin and never actually used as an abbey:

Click image for larger version  Name:	6Abbey.JPG Views:	14 Size:	248.4 KB ID:	459123
    And a man-made crystal-lined grotto constructed from imported oolitic limestone:

Click image for larger version  Name:	7Grotto.JPG Views:	13 Size:	243.1 KB ID:	459124
    The park is closed for filming period dramas from time to time (we can still sneak in) because it has almost no modern features such as lamp posts, signs, or litter bins. Just a few lifebelt stations around the lake and occasional bench seats, although they’re easily moved and outnumbered by imported blocks of Roman masonry for those needing to sit down:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8Roman Seat.JPG Views:	13 Size:	254.8 KB ID:	459125 Click image for larger version  Name:	Vanity Fair.jpg Views:	13 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	459126 Click image for larger version  Name:	Dorian Gray.jpg Views:	13 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	459127

Just before lockdown there was some kind of production being staged that involved fake bodies being scattered through the woods, although the crew wouldn’t tell us what was being filmed, beyond it being a sci-fi type time-travel kind of thing. Local rumours were that it was for an episode of the Netflix series “The Witcher”.
    Last edited by painshill; 06-04-2020, 06:20 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I was about to ask about the abbey, but you've already pointed out that it was aesthetic. Why a ruined abbey though? Still beautiful scenery!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
        I was about to ask about the abbey, but you've already pointed out that it was aesthetic. Why a ruined abbey though? Still beautiful scenery!
        Hamilton designed the gardens with convoluted pathways such that each time you turned a corner, one of these 'follies' came into view. They were created purely as picturesque and decorative points of interest to either take you by surprise or to have you reaching for your sketchbook or easel in the same way you'd reach for your camera today. In part, the abbey was intended to disguise an unsightly patch of ground that had been the site of Hamilton's disastrous venture into making his own bricks.

Among other things there's also big iron waterwheel, a ruined Roman mausoleum, a Greek temple, a semaphore tower that you can climb to the top of (it's sturdy brick-built), a boathouse and a hermitage... for which Hamilton had a hermit installed for visiting gentry to gawp at.

Hamilton advertised in a newspaper of the day for a hermit on a 7 year contract at the enormous sum of 700 guineas. The selected candidate was to live in what was effectively a glorified hut; not allowed to shave, cut his hair or nails for his entire period of employment; not allowed to speak to visitors; and not allowed out of the park during its opening hours. All food, drink and other provisions were brought to him. Within three weeks he was found drunk in the local inn and dismissed.

Comment

• Benji
          Benji commented
          Editing a comment
          That hermit story sounds vaguely familiar to me....and this is the place? Pretty interesting stuff....nice pics too

• painshill
          painshill commented
          Editing a comment
          There were several competing parks of this type and they kept trying to outdo one another with their 'attractions'. Hermits were one such area. There was a competing park to the southwest of me that heard about Hamilton's failed hermit and came up with their own solution. They bought an unclaimed corpse from a prison execution, had it flayed and stuffed, and rigged it up with internal cables, levers and such so it could be made to move!

What a beautiful place to have for yourselves!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hamilton knew what he was doing.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
          X