Comet NEOWISE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comet NEOWISE

Comet NEOWISE, only discovered in March, has become bright enough to be visible to the naked eye. By next week, look to NE sky in early morn(about 3:30 am), and NW after sunsets. Should be visible through July.

https://matadornetwork.com/read/neow...ng-across-sky/

Click image for larger version  Name:	6805C87F-87E9-464D-94CB-8B976D8C40D7.png Views:	62 Size:	566.0 KB ID:	468393

A different astronomy and space science related image is featured each day, along with a brief explanation.
    Last edited by CMD; 07-09-2020, 08:14 PM.
    Rhode Island

cool that will give me a good reason to setup the telescope
    Wyoming

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Charlie! News to me
      South Dakota

Comment

Yeah if you miss this month.....than you might catch it again in roughly 7000 to 8000 years from now if my memory serves correctly.....cool pic
        Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be laying on my back then. Which way should I look considering head limited movement.

Charlie I have been looking for that .Going out with my SkyView app to find the constellations coming up and hope to catch it then Iโ€™ll take out me telescope .
        Has anyone seen this yet .

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          I have seen some fantastic photos from here in RI, but I have not tried as yet.

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        Charlie I have been looking for that .Going out with my SkyView app to find the constellations coming up and hope to catch it then Iโ€™ll take out me telescope .
        Has anyone seen this yet .

Hereโ€™s a great shot taken at dusk on the 12th....

Click image for larger version

Name:	A6C76C5C-1404-4BE1-A325-B2040EE078BF.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	470162

Rhode Island

Comment

I caught it this am just before sunrise. It was very low and the mall lights 15 miles away really didn't help. Not much like the photos posted. Will get out the scope and camera later this month when it will be in the evening away from city lights.
          SE IA

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, Iโ€™m concerned about lights where I am. The photo above was taken after sunset, which is when I am going to try seeing it. The photos I have seen from R.I. have been taken after sunset, not before sunrise....

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe the good photos I am seeing are long exposures, using a tripod. It will never look so good to the naked eye. We were told to look between 9:15-9:30 pm, so I assume it is appearing very low in the evening sky, and then setting below the horizon, making for a very, very short window after sunset.

Clouds last night getting up before the sun tonight

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Clear skies last night, but did not see it. Probably picked a spot, a wide open field, that still did not allow me to see anything 10 degrees or lower in the sky. There was a tree line, but I thought it would be far enough away. But maybe not....

I recommend the photos at this Twitter search...

You can use this image as a guide. I could not see it with the naked eye last night, but believe I found it with a hand held scope.

Name:	304C0329-5CFB-4C75-B36C-20F10012BB44.png
Views:	192
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	471651

Rhode Island

Comment

Good view last few nights just below the big dipper around 10 pm any earlier there's still light from setting sun to wash it out . I can just see it with the naked eye but binoculars work great . El Dorado county N. California

Comment

Originally posted by south fork View Post
              Good view last few nights just below the big dipper around 10 pm any earlier there's still light from setting sun to wash it out . I can just see it with the naked eye but binoculars work great . El Dorado county N. California

Yes, Iโ€™m still not sure Iโ€™ve seen it, with a small scope, but friends and family did see it with binoculars last night....

A few observers in the Southern Hemisphere are beginning to capture Comet NEOWISE, too. Charts here for seeing the comet in late July and early August.

Name:	6B47569D-D318-47C0-AB27-5481A32EDBE5.png
Views:	192
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	472490

Rhode Island

Comment

• south fork
                south fork commented
                Editing a comment
                From my deck it was right inside those three stars east of 21 and 20 and below the dipper on your graph .

The pictures you can see online are pretty amazing but don't go out looking for something like the comet you see in them. โ€‹โ€‹This picture I took 10 miles south of Marysville, Ohio around 10:30 on July 16 is more what you can expect.

The comet is the fuzzy dot above the house (bright lights on the horizon), about 1/3 of the way up the picture. I could see it with my naked eye (once I found it) but binoculars are necessary to get a good view. If you can't see it very well in the picture, the second picture is the same shot with the brightness digitally enhanced.
              -Dave

Name:	IMG_0065 dark resized.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	472614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065 light resized.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	472616

Attached Files
              Union County, Ohio

Comment

The next time C / 2020 F3 (NEOWISE) will return to the Sun in 6800 years - its aphelion is located at a distance of 500-700 AU from the Sun

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                  Uncle Trav commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For us simple folk one AU is basically the distance from the earth to the sun or roughly 93 million miles. So multiply that by any number and you get the idea.
                  ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
              Working...
              X