Our Hunting Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Hunting Grounds

How about a show of the hunting grounds or at least the area you hunt. It might be fun to see the country where you guys find artifacts. I know you don't want to show the site but just the country would be fun. Across the river just under the stone wall is the site we called Harry's. One of the best on the mid Columbia. My Golden and I. Columbia River near Beverly WA. Across river is the Huntiziner Bar. One of the last Indian camps on the river. Now under orchard and of course closed.

Good topic Wildhorse! 
    Here is a special camp site of mine on a friend's ranch outside Granby.  I've found everything from historic to archaic artifacts here.  My dog Leo pacing and panting like usual.

This last site is a place I call "Camel Back" ridge on my Great Uncle's ranch.  If you look under NP, Camel Back in the Overstreet's Guide 11th edition, the quartzite point from Fremont County came from right here near the middle of the photo.  I've also found a Dolores arrow point, a couple manos, a tip to a Camel Back, and a buffalo horn core!  Pictured here is my beautiful wife Bri, she looks mad, but the sun was bright and we had a great day of hunting at our new favorite site!
    Here are the flaked tools I've found on Camel Back Ridge.  This is from two visits to the site!
    This is Granby,  CO in the spring...
    I'm not sure what this stone structure is?  No one around here seems to know either?  I know it was Native built, no white man would go through that much trouble to carry and stack stones in this area...
    Another shot of my Great Uncle's ranch in Southern CO...
    I took pics of this monster in Rocky Mtn. National Park, about 20 minutes from my home...
       Attached files 

Comment

Beautiful OK Not just the lady but the photo's to. Keep it going. It's great to see your country. Thanks

Comment

Both you guys that is some beautiful country. Love thoses pics. we have different type landscape here in ks. Its nice but in a much different way.

Comment

ksrocks; Yes get some photos and post them. That is why I wanted to get this going to see all the different areas.

Comment

Ron I will do that maybe can get everybody to post their favorite places, would be cool! Gotta try not to give away those really good spots. Good thread!!!

Comment

Found some of my Arizona hunting grounds photo's. I have more just need to find them so for now here is the water supply for one of the camps we hunt. Water in Arizona is one important thing. Shelter is just up above the spring here.

Comment

Nice thread here. Very good pictures, makes me want to get in my truck and drive to those  locations.
                I hunt mostly in the Big Bend area of Texas, but any where is good if I can just get out and walk.
                All these pictures were taken within walking distance from my place in Big Bend. The land in open there without any fencing.
                Big Bend property.

These were taken in Paridse Valley Montana on Hubbards Ranch. We were there in the dead of winter , with no snow on the ground, an no Elk, as they were still up in the Yellowstone. We had a yankee with us who shot a horn off a spike Elk. The Elk left the area very quickly.

Comment

Very nice area. What part of Arizonia?

Comment

Nothing like an old dog and a good woman in the great out of doors to make life the way its suppose to be. That is living a good life.

Comment

Are we not lucky or what?? Beautiful stuff guys. Around Bullhead city. Back in the mountains by the old Gold town  Oatman Arizona.

Comment

Oh the life of a hunter!  We are lucky to be a part of something so unique.  I added a couple more photos to my previous post, I have so many it was hard to choose which one's were the best.  Thanks for sharing your sites too, I love seeing the different terrain where we all find our relics!

Comment

Found some shots of a Indian camp in Nevada we found one day while out exploring. All I could see were a few house rings of stones and some pottery shards. I am sure someone had been there before me as there were Beer cans near by. You can see the door way on the top right.It is neat that the center of the ring is still clean but for a inch or so of dirt.

Comment

This is from NW PA. We hunted the grapevines by Lake Erie, but no till farming now a days ruins all the fun. One of the old famous artifact sites is now in the lake, due to lake bluff erosion. Maybe you guys have heard of the Ripley Site? it was in Western New York by the Pa line. Some of the artifacts I believe were in one of Overstreet's guide. It fell into the lake years back.
                            It is always tough looking up here because of the glacial deposites, hard stones are so hard to find or hard to tell. Who made this a man? or ice? haha still fun to ponder. I hunt devonian fossils more often in my area..(easier to find) in the creek beds when I fish for Steelhead trout.
                            Wow that picture came out smaller and darker than expected. I'll get you guys a better one. Sorry all
                            a quick waterfall. some nice fossils in this area. hope it is bigger than the last photo.
                               Attached files 

Comment

Wow - those are some great hunting areas.  Good idea for a thread tho.  I was always wanting to find out what other hunting areas looked like.  Got a couple of pics of mine. This first one is what I have to get over to start hunting.  The 2nd is a large overhang where I plan to start digging this spring.  It's bigger than it looks.  You can easily walk behind the falls and stand inside the overhang. We do have level ground but it tends to be up hill :huh:
                              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                              X