Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these mushrooms edible chicken of the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these mushrooms edible chicken of the woods?

Can anybody familiar with mushrooms confirm that these are chicken of the woods? I’ve seen someone keep one once, and online IDs seem to suggest they are as well. But since I’ve never kept them before, I would feel a lot better if people who know these better than me can say for sure. Found while biking with my kids in central Indiana. we took a small piece, and it also looks like somebody harvested another section with a sharp knife.

Photo attachments aren’t working right now. I’m gonna see if I can attach them in a response
    Central Indiana

Here, got the attachments to work. The photo resize tool in the image uploader kept crashing, but I was able to attach screenshots of looking at the photos. Sorry they’re not better resolution. Thanks in advance if anyone can offer any advice! By the way, I know it wouldn’t be a good idea to trust only the word of a stranger on a forum, but I know there are a lot of outdoorsy people here and I’m pretty certain we’ve got the ID right anyway. Just thought it can’t hurt to get confirmation or maybe somebody sees a red flag. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_96017.png
Views:	104
Size:	672.5 KB
ID:	496757 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_96018.png
Views:	89
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	496758 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_96019.png
Views:	103
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	496759
    Last edited by Hoss; 10-16-2020, 03:47 PM.
    Central Indiana

Comment

this guy gives some great info on Chicken of the woods.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yes they are very good, But I never ID pictures of mushrooms. I'm sure they are Chickens though. The video is Adam Haritan I've watched his Mushroom videos many times.That's a nice batch. Kim
        Last edited by Mattern; 10-16-2020, 04:53 PM. Reason: Addition
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Great video - I’ve watched some of his vids too, but never saw that one. He does a really nice job explaining what to look for and avoid.

I felt pretty comfortable that they’re Chicken of the woods, so fried some up with salted butter - wow! They were delicious, and tasted almost exactly like chicken! When cut into 1x1/2” chunks and browned, it visually reminded me of that bourbon chicken they give samples at mall food court asian restaurants. Same texture as chicken too!
          Central Indiana

Comment

I spotted some the other day and pointed them out to my cousin. He said they were pretty good.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	F9B713AE-E0DB-434D-B799-CDD81A507CAE.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	497604
            New York

Comment

Working...
            X