Fang and talon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fang and talon.

Had a bit of a nature day. Started with discovering this pretty garter snake in my hard stone. Weirdly there is a splattering of fresh blood on the rocks. Though nine times in ten, a snake strike won't leave a mess, this might be the exception. The visible bulge in the snakes midsection visible in the second picture shows she's just fed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210312_123747.jpg Views:	42 Size:	446.8 KB ID:	540800

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210312_125855.jpg Views:	28 Size:	464.5 KB ID:	540801
    Later came across this golden eagle perched on a stump. He tries to take flight but is unable to stay airbourne. There is a problem with his leg. He has not been able to hunt and so has lost the strength to fly. He won't make it out here for much longer. So, after a brief discussion with my neighbor on the futility of these kinds of efforts, we decide to rescue him. Chased into a fence and smothered with a jacket. He's surprizingly compliant. Off to wildlife rescue and hope for the best, though expectations have to be low given the shape of his leg. Beautiful bird. Pictured is my neighbor, Phil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210312_135623.jpg Views:	29 Size:	194.1 KB ID:	540802

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210312_135809.jpg Views:	28 Size:	227.9 KB ID:	540803

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210312_142455(1).jpg Views:	28 Size:	229.6 KB ID:	540804

Napa, California.
    Last edited by tomf; 03-16-2021, 10:02 PM.
    California

You need to clean your hardstone pile and give us a better view Tom looks like some nice ones
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Incredible bird! I'd love to see a Golden Eagle hunt.
      South Carolina

Comment

Good for you guys....Love the eagles...So I’m visiting at the nursing home,in the garden today...I hear a crow across the street. I pull up crow calls on the ole iPhone, he flies away, next, I’m trying to call this dove and it’s gettin closer,, when all of a sudden 15 or so large crows swoop down on us hittin windows, flyin under this large umbrella, squawking loudly, it’s Hitchcock all over again, I shut down the cooing, and they disperse, ..Needless to say, no more crow calls, ,..Sorry for the interruption Tom, just hadta get that off my chest,Lol.
        Last edited by Hal Gorges; 03-16-2021, 07:54 PM.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• tomf
          tomf commented
          Editing a comment
          Very funny and serves you right for meddling in the affairs of birds.
          I suspect the same rule applies to me as I found out this afternoon that the patient didn't make it. So you try but fail and then stress that you made matters worse. I'll probably do the same thing next time too.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, so did you get some tail feathers,Lol.

• antmike915
          antmike915 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's hilarious Hal, one time I picked up a newborn kitten and mom cat was constantly lunging at me hissing, howling (a few times she was airborne). While I was ducking and dodging the clawed cyclone I put the kitten back and when she noticed she sat by it motionless but giving me "the eye". She had at least 6 or 7 kittens; makes me wonder if she would've reacted different if I picked up another besides the one I did? I didn't try it again though.
          Last edited by antmike915; 03-16-2021, 11:55 PM.

Cool post tom, sorry it didn't make it. One thing to look at is that at least it was put down humane instead of suffering or being left out basically defenseless.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

You my hero:
          - you gotta a great group of hardstone tools;
          -you provide habitat for wildlife with great group of hardstone tools;
          -when not hunting for building materials for additional condominiums for habitat of great group hardstone tools, you save wounded wildlife!
          As someone who sometimes also hates being too tired/weak to fly, I commiserate with sad, sad grounded eagle, who now no longer needs my empathy/sympathy because soaring in far grander sky!
          Last edited by Cecilia; 03-17-2021, 12:21 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            He went to happy hunting ground. All is well.

Way cool Tom and neighbor! Hopefully the Eagle will fly again.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Love it

Comment

Working...
            X