No announcement yet.

Backyard freeloaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just hung out my hummingbird and oriole feeders. We have confirmed sightings of both near me. Also switched a couple of my hopper feeders over to safflower seed from a mixed seed. I usually do that in the spring to cut down on the squirrels eating from the feeders. I still give them plenty of nuts and corn logs though. I also mowed the lawn for the first time and got after the flower garden a bit today. It keeps me busy but the critters really enjoy the outcome.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• outlaws15
      outlaws15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, always neat to see the Baltimore oriole here, but only for a few days. We get a glimpse of one we are happy. Last yr they stayed a little longer saw them a few times

Uncle trav any day now for our first ruby throated.
    Last year was 22nd, yrs be that always around the 17th.
    First one has always been a male so far
    Missouri

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	548605
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Trav, that is funny! Very clever, actually, not one bit dumb! Teachers never have sense of humor. I turned eyelids inside out and wouldn’t flip them back, so sat in principal’s office all day. (I always had best grades class, tho, and definitely coolest eyeballs...)

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha of course you did that

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        The green anoles are much better ear hangers, the invasive Cuban anole just won't play along.

Thats so cool. We always like seeing the skinks around the house.
      I'm not familiar with others places skinks/lizards
      Missouri

Comment

We did it the first ruby throated at 6:18pm on the 17th and a male
        Long way from Costa Rica (possibly)
        Attached Files
        Missouri

Comment

• Uncle Trav
          Uncle Trav commented
          Editing a comment
          FANTASTIC 👍👍 still waiting for them to show up here. Gotta love those little birds!

Looking back the last one I saw was 10-07-20
        So 6 months and ten days of waiting till they made their way back
        Missouri

Comment

Brought out the rocker to sit with 15 for about an 1/2 hr
          Attached Files
          Missouri

Comment

• Uncle Trav
            Uncle Trav commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s time well spent in my book. Enjoy!
            👍😁

You have some tame birds in your neck of the woods
          South Dakota

Comment

The orioles have finally made an appearance at my feeders. Just had a beautiful mating pair this morning. They seem to prefer the grape jelly over the nectar at the moment. Always a joy to see them return.
            👍😃

Comment

First time ever im watching g the ruby and 4 male Baltimore orioles land on string and feeders, by the time I got camera there was this female. Best year ever for us and the orioles.
              Attached Files
              Missouri

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                I can’t wait to move to where humming birds are . None in Hawaii . I did put one up next to the feeder that’s a nectar vitamin bag for them .

• outlaws15
                outlaws15 commented
                Editing a comment
                No hummingbirds in Hawaii, I didn't know that. I visited kauai once, my first ocean dive and hiked about a 1/2 mile of the 11 mile trail they have on the island. Forgot how to pronounce it kaialla trail (I know that is way off, ill blame it on spell check)

Except for last yr when I saw one oriole a couple of times every yr has been just once and gone. Yesterday the 4 males one female and we havnt seen them again.
              Hopefully I can update this to say they came back today
              Missouri

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                Uncle Trav commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear ya. Same thing use to happen at my place. I started putting the oriole feeders out early a couple years ago. Fresh jelly kept them hanging around. A lot of folks get discouraged because they don’t see them at the feeders later in the summer. Their not gone but switch to insects to feed their young. They’ll be back at the feeders after they fledge to fatten up for the migration. Definitely a privilege to have them hanging around for the season. Keep those pictures coming!
                👍😃
                Last edited by Uncle Trav; 05-11-2021, 01:15 PM.

In backyard. He was strutting in circles and his girlfriend finally came out. I don't know if an adult. All the tail feathers have to line up?
              Attached Files
              Missouri

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Guys putting a camera on some pair off ? They build a nest in Antlers above the front door around Feb .

Well folks the heat is on in Kalamazoo literally!
              most of the counties around me have been declared to be in a severe drought condition. Got all my annuals planted in the garden but have to do water triage every day when I get home from work. Here’s a shot of our friendly backyard woodchuck. She visits every evening and enjoys a big drink out of one of the birdbaths I have at ground level. Just waiting for the butterflies now.
              👍😃

Comment

You know I am loving this thread . I use to have blue jays that ate out of my hands in Cal . My crow Charlie .
                That darn crow would be at my window at 6.30am cawing for his breakfast . We got to where he had his own place at the table . I could call him in from who knows where and would land on my arm . What a great pet.
                Mother nature is so entertaining .
                Just let her in .

Comment

We mowed the lawn after . Put up a bird feeder with a birdbath . My friends bought a house from the early 1900’s if not 1900 and this birdbath was in the yard .
                  We are planting fruit trees on the side of the cabin and to keep the bugs at bay I told Wayne we need the birds to move over here from the deer feeder . That side is picked clean and I mean one grasshopper .
                  Put that in and not even living there a sprinkler comes on every day at 4 . Lots of blueberries and special things going from an onion patch you name it . That bird bath and the seed took just 2 days for a male cardinal to bring his mate over . We were so happy to see him jumping from branch to branch eating the bugs .

Comment

• Tam
                    Tam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Update from this May . A red Tanager made nest in the scrub oak off tree window right there . And the peach tree doubled from them keeping the pests off it
                Working...
                X