Turkey season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey season

Yes!... it’s here, Minnesota turkey season opens on the 14th.. my favorite time of the year... nothing like the sound of a turkeys gobble echoing through the valley... arrowhead hunting’s on hold for awhile... got a appointment with mr. Longbeard...🦃
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

This big Jake came in with 3 others. Because of recent heart surgery, I had to use a very low recoil shotgun. A 1 ounce low brass #6 load did the job just fine at 30 yards. My usual turkey gun, a lightweight 12 gauge flintlock has way too much recoil. I have 2 more tags, so I’ll hold out for a longbeard next time. Click image for larger version

Name:	4D50C4F0-83F9-485C-A4BF-BCEBDFAE136B.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	547082
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

Nice fletching for primitive arrows
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
        Narrow Way Knapper commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, I was just thinking that.

• Charles Jones
        Charles Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        I have made many river cane arrows with stone points mounted with pitch glue and sinew, and fletched with primary wild turkey feathers tied on with sinew. I have used the secondary wing feathers on atlatl darts. Always save the wings.

Good on you Charles.... glad your recovery’s going well. Watch out Longbeard, your next... go git ‘em....🦃

Comment

• Charles Jones
        Charles Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        Enjoy your hunt, North. Nothing gets the ole ticker beating like the sound of a big gobbler coming closer and closer, until you finally see that red head and hear him drumming and spitting.

Do you eat them north and if so are they better tasting than the store bought ones? I see turkeys all the time around here.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• UpNorth
        UpNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        If you like chewing on rubber bands, you’d love wild turkey... very tough, they have to be prepared properly.I’ m in it for the hunt....🦃

• Charles Jones
        Charles Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually fillet all the meat off the bones and grind it with about 10% bacon ends. Mix in a variety of spices or leave it plain for turkey burger or chili. My favorite breakfast sausage, and all the meat gets used.
        I also hunt turkeys in the fall in southern Illinois. Fall turkeys can be a whole different challenge.

Ahhh... the fall turkey hunt,the ultimate challenge getting mr. Tom... only got one in the fall, it was more luck than anything..✌️

Comment

Minnesota turkey stamps.. 1982- 2002 Click image for larger version

Name:	2A216ABA-DDA1-437A-8B93-FF57CF1465A7.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	547161

Comment

And a favorite print Click image for larger version

Name:	64A47B9E-D0EF-4C63-8E8A-7B790CE024C3.jpeg
Views:	84