South Jersey Sheepshead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Jersey Sheepshead!

Took my rowboat to wildwood this morning. To try and catch my first sheepshead. A guy on the bridge told me he saw some caught by a certain pylon I tossed my jig and crab to it and had one almost instantly but lost him after a short fight then the boat activity started and I headed for home did catch an oyster cracker on a bottom rig lol
    Attached Files
    New Jersey

That’s one hard ugly fish!
    Child of the tides

Comment

sheepshead are a close second lol
      Attached Files
      New Jersey

Comment

Don’t stick your fingers in that mouth lol. I caught one once that was 8 lbs down in Florida once. Caught many 4-5 pounders. Really good eating fish but really hard to clean. Try live shrimp or fresh dead with shell on make sure the tip of your hook is in the head they usually bite that first. Sand fleas work really good to. Boy do I miss the fresh smell of the saltwater but I don’t miss the no see ems they will bite through any repellent
        NW Georgia,

Comment

bugs are the worst Thanks for the tips !!!I'm going to try one more trip seams like it's cooling down fast this year they will be leaving soon !!!!
          New Jersey

Comment

Your oyster cracker looks a lot like our toad fish. Ugly, nasty bite, but very tasty! Two small loins and some big cheek/neck muscles.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

that's what we call um to we had a bar called the Toadfish !!!
              Last edited by Bullheadtee; 08-02-2021, 10:05 PM.
              New Jersey

Comment

Now it depends on the current I usually caught more on the incoming tide. But tie your weight 6 inches below your hook tie the hook so when they bite the sharp side is facing up. Gives you a chance to set the hook before they take you into the rocks đŸ˜‰
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Also use a thinner type of hook and it will wedge between their front teeth. If they swallow the hook they will just bite your line in half
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

thanks I got fresh crabs gonna try again Thursday on the incoming I fished low going out think I spooked them got to close to the pylon. only 10 ft of water but I had one on the first cast
                    New Jersey

Comment

They like the fiddler crabs in Florida
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

I got catching fiddlers down pat just use a long pry bar and work them up out of their hole !!!
                        New Jersey

Comment

I tried once then I just went and bought some instead. Sand fleas are like eating popcorn for them
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                          X