Unexpected Christmas cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Christmas cat

Wednesday morning I was eating breakfast and got a call from a Lion hunter i have never met before.. said he was a friend of a friend. Asked if he could run a cat track that went into our place. Also wanted to know if anyone around would like to harvest it as it appeared to be a large female track. (He only would take a huge Tom). Maddie told me this fall that her bucket list hunt (at 14) would be a lion hunt, so a few weeks ago I bought her a tag. I told him that I did, and we would be up in a bit. We gathered our stuff up and headed up the mountain. We worked the track till noon and let the dogs out.. using his collars it was easy to see they lined out and had a good trail.. they went way up into the national forest to the cliffs before treeing the cat. We caught up at 2:30. It was so steep that the cat was 60 feet up in a tree and we were on the hill above him at eye level. I set maddie up on some shooting sticks and she settled my rra .223 on the cat. When they leashed the hounds and gave her the green light she sent a perfect shot. Cat fell from the tree, stone dead. It was a 120 pound Tom cat. She says it's the best hunt she ever had and will never forget it.... she must have thanked me 10 times.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Wow !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Great Cat Maddie and Chad! A hunt with good hounds is quite an experience. I spent many days following the Plott Hounds on Black Bear. I couldn't do it today but will never forget the great hunts.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
        Fla.Hillbilly commented
        Editing a comment
        same here. following a pack of Plotts on a hot bear track is music to my ears

Awesome!
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
        Great Cat Maddie and Chad! A hunt with good hounds is quite an experience. I spent many days following the Plott Hounds on Black Bear. I couldn't do it today but will never forget the great hunts.

Comment

Congratulations, had to be a thrill. Head will make an awesome European mount I would think. Do you tan the hide or get a full mount??

Comment

• Cskelton
            Cskelton commented
            Editing a comment
            I will euro the skull and have the hide tanned. Full mounts are extremely spendy...I had one done a couple years ago...

Makes me want to move to Montana !
          east Tx.

Comment

well done you two and congrats to your young hunter.
            Wyoming

Comment

Nice Hat . Stormy Kromer? she did real good Chad congrats to the huntress!
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Cskelton
                Cskelton commented
                Editing a comment
                Crown kap.

Thanks for sharing the story of your hunt. Super Christmas gift for Maddie.

Comment

Nice hunt I wish you were our neighbor.

Comment

Working...
                X