Cougar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cougar

Lost a goat and a Barbados sheep last night or early this morning. Moutain lion tracks on a couple of gopher mounds sheep missing and a goat dead with some skin torn down to the meat. Wife called Fish Game they said they could issue a depredation permit but no trackers. No thanks don't need a permit just a clear shot happens every once in a while, we keep some livestock to keep the grass and brush down but I'm tired of feeding the wildlife.

We have a few around my house a female and 2 Cubs . They take deer 🦌 every now and then . We can’t shoot them here in Tennessee

Comment

Be sure to take a pic when you get him.
      east Tx.

Comment

I hear the skin of a cougar tail makes a good quiver.
        South Carolina

Comment

Just saw a recent video of a cat stalking a hiker, he turned and yelled at the big cat. The cat turned and ran! He was very lucky ! I’m not sure most people realize how fast and powerful those cats are !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Josie
            Josie commented
            Editing a comment
            When I hiked in Canadian Rockies and the Northwest, I always worried more about “cats” than bears.

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Last time I was in Lincoln national forrest , I carried a colt python 357 mag. Bear or cat pistol .

I hope you are able to get him/her.

I was living in Montana when they reintroduced wolves to Yellowstone.

The ranchers had a legitimate concern, but lots of people who had no fear of grizzlies and mountain lions while out enjoying the land had an irrational fear of the danger that wolves could represent. I'd rather hear wolves howling at night that a mountain lion scream.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Chilling, in best possible way (as long as got walls between ears and sound waves)!

I watched Grizzly Man and was simply astounded that poor young idealist thot he could not only be friend but fangless, clawless, tiny brother as well. Guess he didn’t realize every family has mean uncle wants to take out all relatives….
            Last edited by Cecilia; 01-12-2022, 10:36 AM.

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            I enjoy seeing all the wildlife around here but not feeding them. Mountain lions have always been a problem we have Bears but they have never been a problem for us, but they love the apple trees next-door and the olive grove down the road.

We don’t have big cats (to my knowledge), but have coyote packs. Took lil colt from friend’s pasture.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Too bad your so far away .... could fix your problem right quick....
            Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• outlaws15
              outlaws15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Funny, your daughter was the first person to cross my mind.

Hey Dennis, They tree kinda easy when run with good hounds. Does the California permit allow the use of hounds?
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              I can hear my Baby Bones baying now!

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              The USDA would send the trappers out with dogs in the past, but Fish Game don't seem to care unless immediate danger to human life. They will issue a depredation permit, but you need to act fast to have a chance I'm too old to sit out on a fresh kill waiting for a chance for a shot. This happens every few years no night hunting for me lol.

Hope you get the cat soon! They are bad news.
            South Carolina

Comment

I used my Quad to drag the dead animals to the back of my property last week and let nature take its course. My son and his friends were going out metal detecting I asked him to check on the remains, on his way back he stopped to look at what appeared to be a spot that was raked in front of an old mine. Raking the tailing piles is a method they use to find gold, so he didn't think anything about the rake marks until he looked inside. Looking back was a big old black bear popping / snapping his jaws my son backed off in a hurry. He let the others know but they didn't believe him and had a look for themselves they all came out of the canyon in a hurry lol. The bear had been feeding on the remains? only the heads and horns were left.

Comment

Well I always want goats to take down the weeds but I just know it’s a trigger for predators .
                It’s such a fine line . My friends in Idaho has a site for cougar watch . So keep an eye out for your pets and kids .
                Where Chad’s at no problem .
                Sorry you have to loose these animals but sounds like you have some serious players in that neighborhood with the bear on top of it all .

Comment

[QUOTE=Tam;n610848]Well I always want goats to take down the weeds but I just know it’s a trigger for predators .
                  It’s such a fine line . My friends in Idaho has a site for cougar watch . So keep an eye out for your pets and kids .
                  Where Chad’s at no problem .
                  Sorry you have to loose these animals but sounds like you have some serious players in that neighborhood with the bear on top of it all .
                  [/QUOTE
                  Our property backs up to wild lands that run all the way down into the south fork of the American River above Coloma State Park. We have a good trail that we worked on for years right to the edge of the canyon, animal trails to the river's edge great fishing if you survive the hike lol.
                  Last edited by south fork; 01-19-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X