Life and Times of a Bee Keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life and Times of a Bee Keeper

Well this afternoon I was out in the bee yard feeding everybody. Everything going good. Until the last hive, And they have a inner feeder. Which means I have to take lid off hive to feed. Now mind you everything was going so good when I got to this hive I got cocky and decided to not put my bee suit on, Big mistake. With both hand lifting the lid they swarmed out on my hands and arms. Fingers on left hand swollen. if swelling dont stop soon may have to cut wedding ring off. Right hand from wrist to elbow is swollen to the point I cant bend wrist. Had to scrape dozens of stingers out. Dont pull them you just inject more venom. Supposed to be going to the beach tomorrow for our 30yr anniversary. See what tomorrow brings. Moral of the story: get cocky get stung A LOT

Bummer. Hope the swelling goes down and you dont have to cut the ring.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
      Fla.Hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea me too. Think wife would be pretty mad if it has to be cut off on our 30th wedding anniversary. You know the old saying , If your gonna bee dumb you better bee tough

Dang that's not good. I hope you recover fast. We had eight hives but they never got aggressive. We did use smoke though.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
      Fla.Hillbilly commented
      Editing a comment
      yes it was all my fault. I didnt do anything I was supposed to. It was about 1 Oclock on afternoon, So they were very active. No suit, gloves or smoke. First time this hive has ever acted like that, But their in the middle of a flow. I just pissed them off. Live and learn. I have 5 hives right now

Ouch!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Agree ouch. Good luck with that. I guess trip to Dr.s isn't worth it?
      Missouri

Comment

How you doing this morning, beach ready?

Comment

☹️☹️☹️👎
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Gotta tell what I used to do when helped medicate friends’ hives and got stings (with a suit on!): tape fully-copper penny over strings. Old horse remedy seemed to help, but mighta been imagination! You ever heard/tried that, Hillbilly?

…..but, geez, maybe not enuf copper, tape, available….. think I’d be going closest Doc- In-a-Box!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 06-25-2022, 08:39 AM.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Benadryl!! ...and Benadryl cream esp. around ring finger...
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

No Dr.Took 1 Benadryl pill and tough it out. Soaked in the beach yesterday and all the stingers that were buried down in came out. Ring finger is going down. I can turn the ring now. Right fore arm is almost down to normal, But still hard to the touch

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you didn't have to cut it off.

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament. Bentonite clay works well to draw out the poison. I remember watching a native friend in Peru dab some clay he scraped off the ground on a wasp sting. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery. 🙏
                South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                X