To much snow to hunt points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To much snow to hunt points

Got over a foot of snow on the ground, not to great for finding points but it's sure does have the elk moving around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20221108_154230.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	663022Click image for larger version

Name:	20221108_154116.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	663023 my best bull, the fish and game aged him at 8.5 years old and his body was massive. He was 2.3 miles from the truck, I shot him on Tuesday afternoon and it took me till Thursday afternoon to get him all packed out.
    West central Montana. God bless and happy hunting!

Wow, congrats!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Outstanding, congrats!
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Congrats, very impressive bull both age and size. Hope you had help hauling him out, or a horse at least.

Comment

• FrontRange
          FrontRange commented
          Editing a comment
          No help getting him out, sure wish I had a horse some day when I get some pasture land. In total the pack out took about 12 hours and was 8.6 miles on the GPS but it was worth it especially since I won't be buying any beef for another year.

• Midwestener
          Midwestener commented
          Editing a comment
          Memory you won't soon forget. I've yet to have the pleasure of hualing anything more than elk sheds out of the mountains, not for lack of trying. Chasing pronghorn with a bow has distracted me past few years from getting in there

very nice. Same here, way too much snow to do anything but look at what you already found, and huntin.... I'm going to say 315ish....
        Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• FrontRange
          FrontRange commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect time of the year for hunting hard all day and sitting around the fire admiring the summers finds at night. When I shot the bull I would have agreed with 315 to 320 but it's his mass that makes his beams look short and the tines to, I was thinking 42 to 44 inch main beams. I had to measure him twice, he's got just over 48 inch beams and his thirds are just over 18 inches nothing official just a green score by me but I got gross 338 7/8 net 334 4/8 making him my biggest bull by over 8 inches. Took me by surprise

What a monster. and I thought my 10pt was nice. what a bruiser. Only had elk meat once it was freakin awesome.

Comment

Well its plain awesome when there isn't any "ground shrink". I'm a firm believer that our scoring system is junk... I pretend that the net score is only good for being able to say how "even" they are... otherwise the gross score is official in my book... 18 inch thirds are very impressive... I'm guessing by his age that his buglers were probably wore down and gorgeous?
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• FrontRange
            FrontRange commented
            Editing a comment
            It's always better when it's the opposite and they get bigger as you get closer. I agree with the scoring system, I mostly use the gross score I figure it's how much antler they have regardless of how even they are. He definitely has the best whistlers I've got out of 9 bulls . I'll post a picture

What is this "snow" you speak of??
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice Bull congrats on the hunt.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• FrontRange
              FrontRange commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Hoss

Here is his ivory teeth also called buglers or whistlers. These ones have some beautiful color and almost a jeweled look in the middle, my favorite ones out of 9 bulls and 7 cows.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_193914.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	664113Click image for larger version

Name:	20221122_192754.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	664114
            West central Montana. God bless and happy hunting!

Comment

Working...
            X