Dirtwalkers surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtwalkers surprise!

Dirtwalker (liam), is now 12.. first year to be able to hunt anything but deer... our weather has been brutal this winter. As I type this, the wind chill is -32 below....
    A couple weeks ago, we found a fresh deer kill on the edge of a hayfield that backs up to the mountain. Thin band of quakies, then timber. There were lots of tracks around the deer and magpies were working it over good during the day. I figured it would be a good place for him to get his first coyote. We have a lot of them... When he got out of school we got bundled up and went up and got set up in the quakies across the field and downwind of the deer.. about 15 minutes before dark and his patience and comfort had run out... we were just about to call it, when something stepped out. I knew right away it wasnt a coyote. He said "what should I do?" I whispered to him to put it on the shoulder and hammer him... I think it happened so fast and was so unexpected that he didnt have time to get excited. He fired and made an absolute perfect heart shot. It leaped about 20 feet in the air and ran back into the trees. Boy oh boy, was he excited then.... the cold and misery was forgotten... it outweighed liam by 40 pounds...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	673718
    Judith Basin, Montana

Are you going to skin it? The tail would make a great quiver for arrows.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Its skinned and in the freezer. Skulls on his dresser. Meat is going to a friend from back east that likes to eat them.

Congrats Liam that is a hunt you wont ever forget.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congrats Liam! That's an awesome lion. I would be so excited I don't know that I could place the perfect shot like you did. Liam you must have nerves of steel. That is a hunt you will remember for a lifetime. The special hunts are the ones that dreams are made of.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
        Cskelton commented
        Editing a comment
        He smiled at the comments. It was very special to him. It couldnt have come at a better time. He really needed something positive to come along.

Incredible trophy. Full body mount or rug? Congrats to him!

Comment

• Cskelton
        Cskelton commented
        Editing a comment
        It's going to be a rug.. lifesize mounts are ridiculous anymore... it would cost me north of 5000.00 to get it done....

That's awesome, congrats Liam! There's a memory neither of you will soon forget. My favorite memories are hunts with my boy, even the ones we just sat there for hours killing nothing but time. Ya'll got lots of good ones coming.
      Last edited by Midwestener; 01-29-2023, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Outstanding!
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Congrats Dirtwalker, Hes a big one!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Awesome work it's rare to take a lion with out hounds!! I've only seen two that I didn't put up a tree. It's been a slow year for me with the cold but counting a female I treed yesterday I've caught 6 this year and we killed two one that had killed a ranchers yearling cow that a 13 year old boy shot and one that had a trap stuck to its front paw I'm fixing to make a lion hunting post in just a few. Anyway congratulations and great shooting!!!
            West central Montana. God bless and happy hunting!

Comment

Working...
            X