a trusty walking stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a trusty walking stick

im sure most people who venture out for the day bring with them their favorite stick.a good walking stick ios one that can take your full weight while slightly bending but not cracking or breaking.woods such as ash,cedar,hickory,and even some oaks and maples (though they do tend to split and twist) all make good sticks.try to chose one thats light enough to carry all day and that you can get a full solid grip on.a good stick should be either above your eye level ( so if you trip you dont put an' eye out! ) or just above belt line to take your weight ( like a cane ). cut a good sapling that meets your needs , cut it about 4 or 5 inches longer than you want it finished because as it drys the ends tend to split,let it dry in a warm ( not hot ) dry place for a month or so then shave the bark off . its a little harder getting the bark layers off when dry but it makes moisture leave the stave evenly from the ends resulting in a better finished stick.cut the ends down to size, carve and sand off branch ends, sand stave , then add your decorations,( carvings, woodburning,e.t.c)rub it down with linseed oil or stain to seal the wood . tk can hen get out there and put some miles on it! a trusty walking stick can help you ( save your back , flip rocks,move aside brush , cross streams , check water depth, catch your balance ,defend yourself,and multiple other uses .i would enjoy seeing pics of peoples personnal walking sticks and ill try to get some pics up of mine . its a red cedar staff with my personnal symbols burned in, set with a deer antler spiked grip.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

They can help get you out of a jam! I like "cane" handles . for comfort. Walk softly and carry A Big Stick.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

:lol: walk softly indeed!

Comment

I have had many sticks and I NEVER go hunting without one. I am pretty much "old school" though. I prefer a Beaver stick. The one I use now I have carried for probably 10 years. I did pick up a couple nice ones on my last trip to the Mississippi River.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

beavers do tend to make good sticks,i have found a few over the years stuck into their lodges and along the banks.

Comment

ive named mine "point finder"

Comment

I cut a large branch off one of my oak trees and let it sit in the shed for a year before stripping the bark off. Them little worms? Termites? make cool tracks in the wood. Sanded it smooth and stained and varnished it. Had it over 10 years before I broke it last year prying out a large pudding stone. 

Comment

You guys go all out. I can attest Jay has a very cool point finder   Send me a photo if you want, Jay, and don't tell these guys what I use for a stick :whistle:   Our member chase is good at talking people through posting photos to the forum, so if you see chase online, invite him to chat and he can help you.
                Rhode Island

Comment

inch: thats a bummer turkeytail. hey charlie i think i just figured out how to pay ya back for all yer help  ill post them pics under my photos

Comment

Details on my personal walking stick. Over four feet long, Maple tobacco-curing stick that I carved and decorated.

Comment

• Tam
                      Tam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This is crazy nice

Now that's.... A cool stick Truett!
                    Southern Connecticut

Comment

A Dinosaur,yin Yang,arrowhead and a guitar. Great Walking Stick! :woohoo:
                      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I gotta say my stick's pretty trustworthy and keeps it's eyes on the ground. I've trained him to go on point at the first sign of an arteefact (by using the alcohol ball and pin method). I've also had to put a florescent collar on him (which he complains of chafing his neck and making him 'look like a sissy') because of his 'covert' speed - inadvertently passing him on the trail without it could be a monumental waste of trainin' time. Yup..  s l o w  b u t  s t e a d y . .

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Very nice Truett !

Comment

Nice one Truett, the Dino man! Here is Jay's walking stick...

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                            X