Sheds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheds!

I know most of us on this site do a lot of exploring around the countryside. I don't know about you all, but I love shed antlers and I love finding them "almost"* as much as I do artifacts. Almost, but not quite! The native americans also collected sheds, and used many of them as tools. I'm just keeping the tradition alive! This is what my wife and I have found so far this year. It's not much, usually we have more than two dozen by now, but the snow is still deep and so many of them are still out there waiting for my wife, my dog Leo and I to find them!
    Here are a few photos from last spring.

Those are nice. looks like u have some good deer hunting in your area. Really nice finds and keep it going. What do u do with all of the sheds you collect?

Comment

Tyson - Those are really nice.  For the past couple of years I have been on the lookout for sheds but have yet to find any.  Do you find them in any particular area.  I curious, like Chris, what do you do with all of them.  You can only make so many knife handles with them.  ---Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I have a lot of people ask me that same question.   I have built a couple tables with my elk sheds, and I have carved a few of my deer sheds.  We get so cooped up during the winter up here, it's the first thing we have to look forward to.  We have some excellent mule deer hunting here, every year we get 200 plus inch bucks from here.  It's been such a tough winter, this is a kind of a disappointing number from years past.  My twin brother is more obsessed with sheds than I am, and he finds hundreds every year!  We use the knowledge to scout out bucks in certain areas, then we go back and hunt them during the fall.  It's really more of a display on how much time I spend out there, I have a lot of people offer money, but $15 bucks isn't worth the miles and miles I spend finding them.  I also like to look for artifacts while my dog Leo finds the sheds, he's awesome at it, and he found 27 last year and that was his first year out!

Comment

Tyson - Ya need to double-qualify that dog.  He looks like a Lab so he's smart enough.  Let him start smell'n them artifacts and you might have a real keeper. :woohoo: ---Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I've been trying!  He's a damn good bird dog too, his parents were both field trial yellow labs, lucky for Leo he came out a pretty red color and some good brains.  If I could just figure out how to train him to smell the scent of ancient human hands on stone! lol

Comment

Just wanted  to share another photo of my wife's recent shed finds.  She's kicking my butt!  I can't believe all 100 pounds of her can haul these around!
                 Attached files 

Comment

Here is another set of photos from our shed hunting this year.  This is a photo of my wife Bri and our friend Bobbi Joe and my dog Leo.  Notice we still have snow
                So far between the three of them have found 6 nice bull elk sheds, and about two dozen deer sheds.  Here is a shot of Bri and Bobbi, with the whole bunch from the same area.  My friend Seth found three out of the nine.  Luckily he found the other side to my wife's monster bull, and he was kind enough to give it to us.
                Here is the monster set, he'll score between 350 and 360!
                They are whooping me this year, but that's because I work all week and they have days off during the week when no one else can go!

Comment

NIce sheds!  I wish we had elk in Indiana!  Kentucky has a few maybe they will migrate north!  Looks like the snows about gone...time to find some points.

Comment

I was huning elk in Paridise Valley Montana at Hubbards Yellowstone Ranch and was climbing up a mountain side called witches hat and came across five elk sheds. I gave them to the guide who sold them in town to a guy who makes furniture and light fixtures out of them.
                    Jack

Comment

We have some here in Michigan, after seeing my first one close (less than a hundred yards) Never realized they were so big!

Comment

Working...
                      X