One of my little friends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my little friends!

This is my little buddy Ill call him Curt. He has more character than most of our politicains today. He does not ask for a handout for at least three days without a refill of his feeder. My taxes keep going up I need gov. assist. to take care of Curt. help me please :unsure: Nite Joe!!

I love 'em too, man.  Most people seem to hate the little boogers.  I live in the city and I put up sheds and turtle shells so they have something to chew on, they need it and don't get dead animals or sheds, etc.. for their teeth and minerals.  I'm always looking for pieces of antler or whole small ones because that's what they seem to like the most.  I screw them to the fence.  Hard to find in the city and people want crazy money for a piece of antler, I've found 'em they are not rare LOL.  They have a ball chewing on those bones I guess uncooked beef bones would be just as good.,..~??  They like to chew holes in papayas the day you want to pick them and are deadly to FL peaches.  I have two BIG oak trees on my property and they dig holes all over, some are fake holes!!!!Biggest problem in my garden is squirrels, but I we do like them and see their families each year.
      They are tasty :woohoo: I'll eat 'em but I don't shoot 'em,,,,yet.!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Joe - I had to laugh cause my first thought was my what a chunky looking fox squirrel - boy would he taste good.  Then I read the rest of your post and then Tom's and still laughing.  We actually lived on squirrels and rabbits when my dad lost his job in the steel mill back in the 50's.  He'd give us 5 bullets and we'd better either bring the shells back or 5 rabbits/squirels.  Anyway looks like he already has his govt support cause you're feeding him. :laugh:  --Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

My wife "fattins em up" too! I bought her a contraption that looks like a ferris wheel. Ya screw on 5 cobs of corn and when they jump on one they take a ride! Also got a corn cob bungy cord. Love eating em but not allowed to take out the locals. I would be scolded!

Comment

mmMM!.mmMM!...squirrel and dumplins

Comment

They can be tough but parboil in bout 1/2 cup of vinegar in water, boil till it foams. 10-15 minutes. Then rinse off and use new water with 1/2 cup Kosher salt, bring to boil then simmer bout 40 minutes. Then do whatever and will be tender. My favorite way is put in small enamelware roaster(2-3 rodents) add 1/2 cup water, one whole stick of real butter, salt&pepper to taste then slice up a whole large sweet onion over top. cover and cook about 2 1/2 hrs at 325 or when liquid on bottom is like syrup. Makes good gravy! Meat falls off bone!

Comment

I am now hungry for tree rat. Where is my 22LR with a peep site and my old dog Blue. Blue circle that tree.
              Jack

Comment

Never was a big fan of squirrel,but ate the b-jesus out of rabbit at any opportunity. Used to eat rabbit by the droves on our family sunday dinners. Mom and Dad pumped out 8 of us so it took alot of rabbit!!!-Bill

Comment

Bill
                  That is a lot of rabbit. I can eat a couple of rabbits by my self. We killed 50 Jack Rabbitts one after noon outside Roscoe Texas in 1962. They were ever where. My dad said shoot under them and you will hit them. He was right.
                  Jack

Comment

Man Jack thats a lot of Jack Rabbits. Ten years ago used to see them here only in certain places. Farmers would always say you can bird hunt but don't shoot my Jack Rabbits. Haven't seen one in years now.

Comment

Been usin this as my desktop background for a few years now........
                      Rhode Island

Comment

We have them on my place in Big Bend, if you have some good rains you see a lot more. Do not shot them anymore, had my fun with them in the 1960's, shooting them from a seat we welded to front of an old army jeep.
                        Jack

Comment

Here's one of my own furry little buddies, Joe. Not long out of the nest.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

My Dad and Ma had a cabin up north by indian river.(by the bridge) He fed the chipmunks all summer, they were almost trained! He would put a peanut in his shirt pocket and they would climb up his arm and go in his pocket to get it! He even had names for them, Flying Fred currie-Leaping Larry Shane-Bob(no tail!). The 1st time I took Camiel up there she thought it was the coolest thing ever....till Bob grabbed her finger instead of the peanut and she kinda freaked and "Bob" went flying through the air! Thought the old man was gonna wet himself!!!!

Comment

Ya Charlie got the little ones here now too. The elders try to run them off the feeders. They are a little hard headed, but usually gone by mid summer (it's nature I guess).   Good story Mark. Back home in TN. most all squirrels are grey, here all are brown how bout MI. Have the ones that fly in TN. also! There are few places here in KS. that have Black squirrels but rare and very protected, have seen maybe three in twenty years. Im a critter person love the outdoors. Joe.

Comment

Working...
                              X