The Intelligence of Dolphins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intelligence of Dolphins

I really love these guys. I can't help but wonder if we humans will someday actually be able to talk to them. So many anecdotal accounts of dolphins helping people, etcetera. Sometimes I wonder if we really are the most intelligent form of life on this planet, lol.....

Two dolphins have been recorded having a conversation for the first time after scientists developed an underwater microphone which could distinguish the animals' different "voices".
    Rhode Island

Interesting stuff there CMD. I know scientists have been toying with dolphin speech for years. Little known fact is that the Navy used dolphins to retrieve dummy test torpedoes. They (the dolphins) were intelligent enough to know what we were looking for and would locate the spent torpedo where it had come to rest on the bottom. I just hope we humans don't screw this up like we do so many things in nature. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi Charlie. Thanks for the very interesting link. During my cruising days and while sailing in the open sea in the Gulf of Mexico and western Caribbean we were often entertained by dolphins from small groups of half a dozen or so to groups that must have numbered more than 100 (so many that it was impossible to count them). I was able to get some neat pictures of them as they played with us. One of their favorite things for them to do is to swim or surf at the crest of the bow wave. I noticed that they would seem to take turns as if they were waiting in line to have some fun. I noticed that dolphin interaction with us seemed to occur more frequently when we were moving under sail as opposed to motoring. I had other interesting observations but nothing as interesting as what I've learned today by reading the link you provided.

Comment

CMD i can just about guarantee we are not the most intelligent or atleast in my case when I am at work walking around looking for a tape measure that I am holding in my hand?! Lol, we may not want to hear what they have to say.

Comment

Working...
          X