• Show
Clear All

• Big Fish

Click image for larger version

Name:	full tilt.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	236868
    I see that we have many anglers on this site and I would love to start a big fish thread. If there is another outdoor activity that obsesses as much as finding the past it's fishing. Feel free to post any type salt or fresh bluegill or marlin.
    Last edited by Hoss; 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Me with a trophy sized Bonito (actually an Eastern Pacific Bonito Sarda Chiliensis) caught at California's Santa Cruz Island on one of the Flyfishing 6-Pak Charters I put together and host 5 or 6 times every summer and fall. These are my favorite local Saltwater fish to target with the flyrod, they take flies well and fight like nothing else, they put the Energizer Bunny to shame..

Me loves my Bonito

Last edited by Flyjunkie; 01-07-2017, 11:59 PM.
    \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for showing Flyjunkie I feel exhausted just looking at a picture of a bonito! The bonito (Sarda Sarda) here off NC don't stay long but anglers wait excitedly all year for their arrival. I've only caught on spin, but fly rod is on my bucket list.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful fish

I used to fish a lot. Spent many long hours on the water. Here are a couple of crappie Jigged up on Tracy Pond in Middlebury CT many winters ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	twins.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	236870
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice fish Hoss! Nothing better then frying up a mess of crappie. I always put my Christmas tree in the lake every year for the crappie.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Those where not the biggest fish I ever caught but they were real good eating. I have to look for more pictures from back in the day. I slowed down a lot the last 5 years or so. My mind wants to do it but my legs just dont carry me like they once did.

I love fishing, but usually only take pictures of my son or my oddly small catches.

Here is a grouper I caught a couple of years back and cooked. I normally do catch and release but these guys are too yummy for their own good. This is a pretty decent size fish for the reef off our beaches.

A recent one of my son with a trigger fish. He was very colorful in the water, but kind of drab out of the water.

This monster somehow got a piece of squid that was about as big as he was.

Name:	trip (5).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	237002

A picture from a couple of years ago, my favorite kind of fishing, free lobster during Florida's mini-season

Name:	trip (1).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	237003

My son's best Dolphin from when he was too scared to touch bigger fish, too small to keep but it was his biggest and probably his prettiest fish.

Name:	trip (6).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	237005
    Attached Files
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I would have trouble throwing the grouper back also. I do practice catch and release a lot but also enjoy eating my catch on occasion, depends on type and how the species is doing. Amazing the colors a freshly caught dolphin show. Nothing better then teaching fishing to our youngsters. Thanks for showing! Those pinfish sure are pesky.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      You have some great memories there Joshua thanks for sharing.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	237026Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	237027 Here's a subject I could go on and on about!

Here are two pics I had handy, a nice Largemouth caught on a Jerkbait last spring and a 45-pound striper that took a metal lip swimmer a few years back in May. The largemouth was caught in RI and the striper was a MA fish.

Comment

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Believe it or not, the RI record was just set last year at just over 11 pounds... I still have a ways to go 😊

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are awesome man. Thanks for sharing.

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Matt, fishing has been my first love since I was about 7

OK Here is a trip down memory lane. They are all me and the first picture was about 65 years ago: I still remember it.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	237131

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	237132

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	237133

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	237134
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Looks2Much
      Looks2Much commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it possible to "like" something multiple times? That's awesome!!

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking fish Ron.

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow thanks for sharing Ron! The Muskie is killer. Have yet to catch a Muskie going to make it my next fishing goal. There are Muskies less then a mile from my house.

I can see why that Northern Pike would be confused for a Musky. The fish was clearly a Northern Pike. This is a poor picture but the Pike had light spots on a dark background (Pike ID). The fish had rounded tail fins (Pike ID). This Northern Pike was unusually large at just over 46 inches.
    Last edited by Ron Kelley; 01-10-2017, 12:04 PM.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I realized it was a pike after I committed. The red look of the fins threw me off. Also being from the south no pike here might have had something to do with the id. Have caught many a pike in upper state NY. Still a great fish!

Fishing has always been my main hobby and it is the reason everyone out there is seeing my finds and questions. I was a guide for a number of years. One day a buddy of mine had a friend who was trying to start up a guiding service and I was willing to help. We became good friends and the first time I went to his house I noticed his artifact collection! I inquired and that's how it all began for me! Glad to be here! A few more of my favorite catches please show yours.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Here are some nice crappie we caught last spring. The largest was 15.5" and weighed 2 lbs. caught by my younger brother, which is large for this area. Don't get much time to fish or artifact hunt in the summer as we own & run a seasonal business. Hope to get out ice fishing soon & catch some picture worthy fish. Won't be able to do any artifact hunting til this dam white stuff melts!
      Tight lines everyone.

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	237397

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	237398 My brother & his biggest crappie

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats a nice mess of crappie! A two pound crappie is a large crappie anywhere. Thanks for showing. Look foward to seeing future catches.

more Bonito ....

me with another Big Bonito.. i am a happy boy indeed.

a close up of a Bonito, such a beautiful, sleek, built for speed, strong fighting fish

a typical sunrise over Anacapa Island, i always take these "Mandatory" sunrise photos on the way out to fish.

a close up of a small Bonito, notice the conical teeth?? perfect for grabbing anchovies at 90 miles an hour.

and just to prove I don't only pitch flies for Bonito. this was my first Yellowfin Tuna, caught October 9th, 2015 it weighted 12 lbs. and really fought great on a flyrod.
      \"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..\" ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful colors.
    Working...
    X