Backyard Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Hunt

Well now - After watching the video that Josh posted a couple of days ago on the Wolf Release, we find this in my backyard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coyote2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	239045

My daughter went out on the back porch to have her morning smoke and low and behold, there just below the back deck is this coyote. Over the past few months we have come up missing 3 or 4 of our cats, mostly feral, that we neutered and feed. Most recently just last week we came up missing a rather large male cat that was pretty street smart. I'm really surprised that this coyote came this close to the house during daylight hours. So - when I said hunt, that's what I mean. I'll be watching for this one in the future. You can bet that this is why our cats are disappearing. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Canids are definitely opportunistic feeders and in winter especially will hunt day and night. Your feral cats are likely easy pickings.
    Our next door neighbor's yellow lab was a nasty fellow (unusual for a lab) who seemed to enjoy terrorizing the neighborhood dogs, including my own. One day he decided to challenge a large coy wolf who had been coming around and finally met his match and then some. The coy wolf went for his head and the result was not pretty.
    Child of the tides

Comment

Yeah Chuck, I believe Coyotes have a better taste for Cat than what most People would expect. At Our old Place a Coyote chased a Cat We had in The Daytime to a small Shed The Cat managed to make it under just in time.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Here's a couple from Pall Mall Chuck

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Coach - night cams huh? I gotta get me a couple of them. I'd really like to get a night vision type scope for a .22 Mag rifle but they seem to be a bit pricey.

• CoachG
          CoachG commented
          Editing a comment
          The daylight pics were from a higher dollar trail cam. You can't tell it, but they take great pics. The night time pics came from a$30 cam I got at walmart. It doesn't tell time and date, but is a great camera for the money.

We have them in London, Ontario. Not good for the family pets.

Comment

Yes, these are crosses between wolves and Eastern coyotes. I live in a pretty developed suburb of Providence, but on occasion we hear the packs at night. In broad daylight, I have seen them feeding on the street right outside my apartment. That is unusual I think. Think we had a rabid one attack a woman recently....

A news item Friday caught my attention – a coyote had been caught wandering around downtown Boston. I wasn’t particularly surprised. Their numbers have been increasing drastically, and in the areas…
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Charlie - I'd heard that story about wolves and coyote cross but had never seen one. These that i've seen around here appear to be a little bigger and heavier than a German Shepard so maybe they're a cross. Don't know for sure. I'll have to ask one of the Game Wardens that sneak around the mountain

Cat killers for sure, good luck with your hunt. Here are some of my trail camera shots. In the bottom pic I'm pretty sure there is a rabbit in its mouth.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1009.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	239075Click image for larger version

Name:	MDGC0211.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	239076Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0072.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	241.0 KB