Bay Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Invader

Just a few more weeks and I'll say good-bye to my beach hunts until cooler weather. Biting flies, sand fleas and beach goers will invade my quiet domain, and I am a solitary hunter. So I've been making the best of the dry days and bemoaning the wet ones, because September is a long way off and I'll have to be content with gardening, swimming, and model railroading during the hot, humid months ahead.

I would like to say I found the mother of all points today, (and in a way I did because Ron's gorgeous KY Hornstone blade arrived!) but I came up empty handed, except... I did find the mother of all shells! Meet Rapana venosa or veined Rapa whelk--invader of the Bay. Rapa whelks are natives of Japan and Korea. By the 1940s they had spread into the Black Sea and within 30 years they had spread to the Adriatic, Aegean, and Mediterranean Seas. They are now showing up in the English Channel and North Sea. In 1998 the first Rapa whelk was discovered during a trawl survey by the Virginia Institute of Marine Science. By then the invasion was already well underway.

Transported in ballast water by large tankers and cargo carriers, the Rapa has found the Bay hospitable. With few enemies and a huge appetite for shellfish, they threaten the Bay's clam, oyster, and scallop industry. An individual female can lay as many as 200,000 in a single egg mass and in a single breeding season she may lay ten or more egg masses. The numbers are staggering and scientists speculate it will eventually extend its range from Cape Cod to Cape Hatteras. so you coastal hunters, watch out!

Because they spend so much time on the bottom and are very heavy bodied, the size of a baseball, they rarely wash ashore. This one washed up during a strong storm with NE winds reaching 45 mph. Despite it's infamous reputation, it produces one gorgeous shell! I'm thrilled with the find and, Josh ((Kyflintguy), I won't send you this one! Lol!!
    Child of the tides

Well I enjoyed reading your post, I wish you would have found that elusive point today. That shell is pretty, i dont know diddly about shells but that looks like a lil konk "not sure if that's spelled correct". the dog days will be here soon. Would like to see the model railroad some day.

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Conchs are edible. Whelks are an acquired taste.
      My first serious foray into model trains and I'm running Z scale. Call me crazy!

Thats a great find. Can you explain to the members why this is such a threat to the shell fish industry. I know but it would be interesting to hear what they do to wreak havoc and what they do.
    Thanks Deb.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, with millions of Rapa in the Bay, and each adult capable of eating upwards of ten clams a day (their favorite food), plus competing with native whelks that are commercially viable, the predation is horrific. Their numbers will only begin to decline when they have out-eaten their food supply.

Amazing how many invasive creatures have been brought here by boat. Sea Lampreys, Gobi, and Zebra mussels are a few that have invaded the Great Lakes and changed the dynamics.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      More than we care to know. You can add starlings, pythons, Africanized bees, & a host of others to that list.

That Thing is weird. Is that it's Mouth or Face?
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually that's its foot!

Deb -I'm with kurt. I'd like to see what you're doing with the model railroad. I worked on an N guage while I was in Japan. Had to give it up cause it was just too hard to ship it. I had it mounted on a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood. I cut my own rails too. It was a real experience in patience.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Would love to see them. I'll check out the Z gauge size. Do they make the artificial scenery for this gauge as well. I gotta be careful cause that hobby is really addictive, like arrowhead hunting, only more expensive. Let us see some pics when you get time. By the by - I helped our local Illinois Central station master with little stuff around the station like sealing box cars and passing off messages and I had even tried my hand at copying the morse code signals that came in but it wasn't dots and dashes, it was more like clicks and clacks. Oldtimer stuff I guess.

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my yes they are addictive! When I bought an N gage back in 1980, HO was king (& still is). Since then N has exploded in popularity & one local train club runs only N. Z is popular in Europe & has a small but growing following in the US. Because they are small but detailed they are expensive, but solves a space problem for many like me.
      You can buy landscaping & building kits, which are size challenging but great fun. The Marklin line is German but there are at least 2 companies in the US producing them as well as the Chinese. Going to a train show on Sat because the bug has bit!!

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      No I haven't - where does it fit in with the scale, I'm assuming it's between N and Z??

Your picture of the Rapa whelk is very nice Deb. And the damage that they can do is very real.
    I think your tid bit about model railroading is going to draw one heck of a lot of attention.
    Those things are tiny. Click image for larger version

Name:	84b6f6d62432f14684b9c92ccc4758fd.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	249551
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

But sweeeeeeet!
      Child of the tides

Comment

I didn't know there was anything smaller than N scale! Z is tiny!
        Okay, so what's T ?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          See below

Even smaller than Z! Because of its size you can't voltage down so it runs full out. Goes by in a blur like a whirling dervish! Lol!! Too small for my tastes.
        I started out with N but thought I'd give Z a try,
        Child of the tides

Comment

Too bad about all the invasive species that have gotten here. I just heard there was a bounty on pythons in Florida. Does this country still let them in for pets?
          South Dakota

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, they are still legal to buy & sell. And even if they were banned, the unscrupulous would smuggle them in like they do banned species.
            My daughter wanted a snake when she was in high school & bought a beautiful corn snake. For the first few months it ate crickets, but as it grew it graduated to pickies-- hairless baby mice that it ate live. I shudder remembering those helpless newborns being eaten alive. If the snake hadn't escaped one day, it would have moved on to adult mice & then baby bunnies. I think when people realize how expensive it becomes feeding them or tire of the novelty, they let the snakes go-- like the cobra in NYC last fall.

As big of problem as they have become, you would think they would be long made illegal. It would slow it up some I would think.
          South Dakota

Comment

I despise all these invasive species... We've altered our world in so many irreversible ways... Its such a shame. Ive been seeing this invasive species of Hammerhead worm here in my town....
            ​​​​​​

These boogers are predatory to our native worm species which in turn has a domino effect on down the line.
            Just a matter of time before the Asian carp and Snakeheads destroy our fisheries too... Natural selection is one thing but what we've done to our environment just really stinks.

Our local children's museum shares part of there building with model train hobbyist club... A very large room filled with folks working on models of towns and trains... I know nothing about it personally but the train sets displayed in the museum itself are really fascinating. Ill have to get pictures next time Im there.
            Sorry to hear your season has ended Deb, it was a good one for you though...

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Havenhunter
              Havenhunter commented
              Editing a comment
              This was my best year so far. Lots of wind & coastal storms.
          Working...
          X