Plant beasties-Pitcher Plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant beasties-Pitcher Plants

During September I visited a local small nature preserve that is on land owned by the City of Foley, AL and walked on some of the trails. The preserve is mostly wetlands which are drained by a small stream that is tributary to Wolf Bay one of the bays that form Perdido Bay which forms the boundary between Alabama and Florida. One of the attractions in the preserve is that it has some areas which are home to pitcher plants. Pitcher plants as you may know are plants that include insects as a major part of their nutrition and are usually found in wetland or boggy areas throughout the world. I had never seen these plant carnivores before so luckily I took my camera as I had hoped to get some bird pics as well. Thought some of you other nature lovers may like to take a peek at what I saw. The ones I saw I believe to be the white topped picture plant, genus Sarraccenia. Also, as you may know that what you see at the top of the stalk is not a flower but are modified leaves that look like flowers. I was in the area well after the blooming season and was lucky to see the working part of the plant. I'm not a botanist so I just call it the "mouth". I'm sure it likely has a technical name. These plants were growing in semi-wet areas that were almost like meadows with a few scattered small pine trees. I hope to be able to return earlier in the summer and get photos of them blooming now that I know what to look for and where they are growing.

I would like to see the pictures Joe not sure what went wrong it may be file size related?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Matt. The photos are showing up on my computer screen. The files are large because of the resolution I had my camera set to. They took quite a while to upload. If you are not using a computer maybe an Ipad or camera won't accept them. If that is not the problem then I can try reloading the photos as a smaller size but I don't think I can change the pixel resolution.

One of our members, JMatt, from RI, is a well known guy in the world of carnivorous plants. I understand he has grown some very rare species, attends the conventions, etc.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I cannot see them I am on my Desk Top PC. Screen shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (33).png
Views:	140
Size:	585.6 KB
ID:	280542
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I hope this works. Seems like it is taking a long time to upload the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3010.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	280548

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3012.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	280549

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          These are awesome! Nature's pest control. We have a variety planted near our frog pond that emits an odor like rotting meat. Attracts flies like mad! They don't flower long but you sure can smell them in our hot humid summers.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for reposting Joe

Great pictures Joe I love carnivorous plants! My favorite is Sarracenia jonesii an endangered species that only occurs in a few spots in NC and SC. Thanks for showing.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Now Sailor that's different from what we usually see. Purdy flowers that lure fly's and such in to be eaten - that's new and quite refreshing for a change of pace. It also takes my mind off hunting arrowheads, which I can't do right now cause of the weather. Thanks for the diversion and interesting post.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Those are beautiful plants
            South Dakota

Comment

Gorgeous pictures Joe, especially the second one.
              Thank you for taking the time to share these.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
              X