Aggressive Dog's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Dog's

While out walking Today I encountered a Couple unfamiliar Dog's, one which had a real Attitude. At first I tried whistling and talking friendly, then I poked My Walking stick out just to let It know I also meant business. About that time The Trash Truck came by and It ran toward Him (Driver) He talked to It for a second then split. Then It came back and The other showed up, not circling and barking as much as The other but tried to stare Me down, little contest and a stomp and language probably helped Me out. It lightened up then.

Big Dog's!! about halfway mark I did get a little "scared" but got My wit's and didn't wan't Them to sense that. Anyway, We all go Home safe but I'll be back and next time It/They will get a little surprise. They will still go Home safe then but probably won't ever try that with Me again. There are Spray's and Sling's if You get My drift.

Be careful out There!

BTW I Love Dog's, but It's a bad Dog.
    ps, there was 3 Dog's. One which I am very familiar with and We walk together at "The Field", She might have instigated It with all The barking, The other 2 are Neighbor's Dog's I assume.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Oh, It wouldn't Sit either.

Comment

I’ve seen a few instances in the news lately of people being mauled by dogs, and in some cases it’s been the victims own dogs. As much as we all love our pets never forget their not your “babies”, their animals first and fore most. I’m an animal lover and pet owner myself, I would never condone injuring any creature senselessly, having said that I also just watch the video you posted Josh. As a long time reality based martial artist I don’t agree with putting your arms out towards an aggressive dog, keep your arms out of its immediate reach if possible, if you have time use a coat or bag or pocketbook to lure the dog into biting that instead. Don’t kick out at the dog as it will most likely just bite your leg or foot and pull you off balance and to the ground, which is the worst case scenario as now your on the dogs level. Don’t present the animal with targets to bite at, keep your legs close and your arms up while screaming at the dog to leave. If the animal does bite you aim your strikes ( closed hammer fists ) at the bridge of the animals nose. Keep your hands in fists, if your hand is bitten in the struggle you don’t wanna lose fingers. If your pulled to the ground and you feel your life is truly threatened, attempt to get the animal in a choke hold and commit to it until the animal loses consciousness. Once again these tips are for worst case scenario’s, Nobody wants to harm an animal needlessly,certainly not me. But it’s worth learning to defend yourself or others. ( If anyone is interested I have a lot of tips for using a walking stick as a defense as well) Stay safe everyone
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Please Jay, tell Us more about some Staff Trick's. Good Post Bud!

I have been known by various dogs after first greeting to be carrying beef jerky!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha, I can't reward It. Nice Dog's get Beef Jerky though.

Interesting post. I have considered asking the forum if they encounter aggressive dogs while hunting. Unfortunately, I do more than I would like. I live in a populated area, with leash laws but people think back in the woods (not their property but close to the park where they started) they will be the only one around so they let their dogs run free. When that dog comes across me unexpectedly, they often become agitated. The owner is usually far behind.
      Central Ohio

Comment

I have 2 (well behaved) dogs but we sometimes encounter loose, off leash dogs. I carry a citronella spray. The dogs don't like it at all (yes it works!) and it doesn't hurt the dogs or you in the process. It's cheap and can be purchased off Amazon! Stay safe!

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had many Dog's but never really thought about getting a spray until Today. Maybe I am just a bit angry still, yeah I am. The last Thing I ever wanted to do is go around hurting Dog's, but Here I am talking about using This and That on It. If You were There or knew Me personally You'd know that's not what I plan on doing,,, actually I hope The Thing stay's away. Now I feel like I said Something I shouldn't have, not that I shouldn't do It if It approaches Me in The same way. There are Folk's that do a lot worse for a lot less though.

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          I just plan on being Prepared, nothing set in Stone.

I just carry a revolver , so a dog is no problem. Some areas we have feral hogs, so if a piglet squeals dead sow. Areas where the hogs are,usually carry big bore ......Hunting artifacts that is...
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          My Option's, and a learning experience for It while staying in The same physical shape It's in. I'm glad those Thing's haven't made It up Here yet, but They are becoming more of a problem South.

Deterrent Spray is a good option ( mind the wind) it’s a tricky thing to use though, not physically, mentally and legally. Unless the dog just runs up and bites you, at what point do you decide to spray? And let’s assume you now have an angry owner who’s just catching up to the scene, your now going to have to justify your action to them and chances are their not taking your side in the matter,especially if you haven’t been bit, and your probably also worked up over the encounter as well, and there’s still the dog. Things could get complicated awfully fast.Pulling out and using spray on a dog is like a few steps away from just shooting one, it may not kill the animal, but you still may have to deal with an owner, possibly the police and maybe even time spent in court. I’m still all for defense sprays, not everyone has the physical or mental means to go toe to toe with an attacking animal and spray is a good first line of defense. If you feel you or someone who needs defending is truly in danger by all means spring to action if able, but keep in mind there may be some explaining to do.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• JoshinMO
          JoshinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Jay, I don't know what to say. I like to walk and The Property Owner told Me I could, but He's probably very familiar with The Dog's and The Owner's and I wouldn't wan't to start Anything There. There are only a couple/few Places that aren't lined with Houses and Parking Lot's that I can go to nearby. Usually I am open to talking with People, even though I don't have to. You make a good point, careful People can be careless though sometimes I imagine. They ought to make up Their Mind, keep Them up.

Jay You have told Me some very Helpful Thing's though and I appreciate That. I guess dealing with a po'd Owner wouldn't be fun either, I just wan't to walk peacefully is all.

Comment

I carry a revolver when I am out as well and wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had to either. My preference is the spray if given a choice and from experience I know it has worked well. I have had owners run out and see me spray their dogs and once I tell them it doesn't hurt them, they are thankful I had used it. I just want to walk peacefully as well. Where we go in Colorado I am more likely to run into coyotes vs dogs so it hasn't been an issue there. The issue is more where we walk in the neighborhoods or local trails. We all need to stay safe. Hope your issue resolves.

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            If I get a Spray I'll definitely consider This, I guess I could always spray Myself if Jerk Owner showed up... I don't know

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Or a cougar I would think .

I never walk the woods without a coupe of deturants . I would not want to shoot a pet ! But any aggressive behavior and foaming in the mouth I am not getting into some calm yoga position to see how it plays out or do some karate move on the animal .

Comment

I've definitely had my share or aggressive dog run ins bet most of us have here. I just wish people would be more responsible with their animals.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Working...
            X