Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear

This big old bear has been giving me the slip for a couple years. Got a couple of our calves last year. Last October i hiked after him after a snow and followed his tracks back to a den way up in the cliffs. I fell on my gun getting up there. Missed him at 80 yards then had to come down empty handed. His luck ran out on saturday. His skull measured just over 19 inches. Anything over 18 is considered huge in this state. Middle of Montana.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Nice one! I can see a Bear Rug on the floor.

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep.

Big ol boar wont be getting your stock anymore...he is a big bruin also. I am looking at his head in proportion to your shoulders and he is a big one alright!!! Think that old boar will be a good eater ? Or is he a sausage bear? Nice job man...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Breakfast sausages.

That is a very big black bear almost anywhere and especially so for Montana. So you missed a short shot. Everybody who's ever hunted much does that. Did you have to take a long shot or were you able to stalk him up close from down wind?

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
      That is a very big black bear almost anywhere and especially so for Montana. So you missed a short shot. Everybody who's ever hunted much does that. Did you have to take a long shot or were you able to stalk him up close from down wind?
      When i fell on the gun it was knocked off. I yried it the next morning and couldnt hit a stump at 25 yards. When we met back up he was about 220 yards. It was calm and i was using shooting sticks.
      Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chad and thank for the feedback. It looks like you had your scope knocked off a few clicks the first time and you had to take a long shot for the kill on your next pursuit. Good shot.You must be hunting in fairly open country. I always liked to get downwind and come as close as I could get back in the day when I hunted animals.I wanna ask: what was the rifle calibre/model and what was the power your scope was on and zeroed at. It is fun for me to talk big game hunting. The pursuit is what I loved, even much more than the kill. Oh and BTW, I forgot to congratulate you for taking out the predator that was taking out your stock. Congrats!

good on you
      Wyoming

Comment

Hey Chad, Congrats on getting the big boar. Did you weigh it?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
          Hi Chad and thank for the feedback. It looks like you had your scope knocked off a few clicks the first time and you had to take a long shot for the kill on your next pursuit. Good shot.You must be hunting in fairly open country. I always liked to get downwind and come as close as I could get back in the day when I hunted animals.I wanna ask: what was the rifle calibre/model and what was the power your scope was on and zeroed at. It is fun for me to talk big game hunting. The pursuit is what I loved, even much more than the kill. Oh and BTW, I forgot to congratulate you for taking out the predator that was taking out your stock. Congrats!
          Joe, its really not very open but the two track cuts up the bottom and creates a lane that stretches a few hundred open yards. I was watching it and hoping he would utilize it.
          Your probably going to frown on the caliber as its not considered a "bear gun", but i was using an RRA in .556. I have a vortex viper on it that is sighted in a 200 yards. Off a bench i can cover 5 holes with a nickel at 200. I had ranged various landmarks in the road before he stepped out . He was slightly quartering to me and it hit him at the base of the neck and made a clean pass through coming out his 4th or 5th rib back. He ran about 20 yards and folded up.
          i too enjoy the being there more than killing.
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Bear jerky, wonder if it will be as good as deer jerky?
            🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
            X