Surprise 9 pointer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise 9 pointer

I have been hunting non stop over the past few weekstrying to get a deer in the freezer before the cold sets in. I hate the cold. But as of late, I was getting really, really tired of hunting for 12 hours a day, and seeing nothing. Well mom and dad left for the day, and I told them I probably wouldn't go. I hemmed, and hawed, and thought of every excuse not to go out, but at 3pm yesterday, I did. To show how excited I was for hunting, I brought a notepad and pencil. I was apprehensive, to be truthful, because the day before, we saw a 300 lb. black bear at my hunting spot. Yay. I sat down in my climber, set the gun in my lap (7mm Chilean Mauser built well over 100 years ago) and proceeded to ignore my surroundings. Well after a while, I heard footsteps off in the distance. I saw brown, and nonchalantly picked up my rifle to look through the scope, and was shocked to see nothing but antlers! As I was looking, I heard CLING! CLANG! DING DING! My sketch pad fell onto the metal stand! The deer didn't even look. I went into panic mode, fumbling with the safety (this is my first year ever rifle hunting) and trying to find him in the scope. He went behind a tree, and when he came back out, I shot, with a pencil in my mouth because I was drawing at the time. I was so focused on loading another round, that when I looked up, the deer scared the living daylights outta me by running straight towards me! I spit the pencil out, and tried aiming again, but he flew past me and I heard him crash later on.

At first, we couldn't find any blood. Zero. Hell, I didn't remember where the deer was standing. It happened so fast, I didn't even record any detail in my memory. How could I have missed? Finally, by random chance, my mama found one splotch of blood. One. Uno. Ein. We looked forever, but eventually we found him really close to the stand, crumpled up. He made a circle and we didn't know it. It's a beautiful nine pointer, and definitely mountable. I was shocked. I didn't even know what I hit. I thanked God profusely, and helped my dad drag it back. It weighs 200 lbs. field dressed.

Thank you God!

Today we took it to the butcher, who set to work on it immediately. He caped it it, and now I have to figure out how I want to mount it. I also have to name it. Because he snuck in on me, I was thinking about naming it after surprise military operations. Overlord, Bagration, Citedele, Barborossa, Mercury, Wacht Am Rhine, or Chancellorseville. Nah, I gotta come up with more names.

I'm pretty sure the spirits of the pre-historic hunters were shaking their heads at the newfangled, inattentive hunter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1129200758d_HDR.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	510862
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Nice one Kantucky. We're still looking for ours. kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Congrats on that one K.P.
      a nice looking buck.. you’ll come up with the proper name.
      beautiful country side.... now concentrate on the points.
      ....a pic. Of bro’s deer today... 19 1/2” inside spread..✌️ Click image for larger version

Name:	722225A8-BD67-44AB-9002-D58EC3EBDDC4.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	510884 ​​​​​​​
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Good on you KP
        Wyoming

Comment

Nice one K.P., and great story.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Congratulations on a Nice buck Ethan. Up north that is a nice buck and I see he took it with the bow congrats to him
            Last edited by Hoss; 11-29-2020, 08:11 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I can smell a nice venison steak sizzling over an open fire I don't hunt anymore to lazy . But plenty of deer on the place if things get worse .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                We had some backstrap from my dads deer that he got earlier this year and MMMMmmm that was good stuff!

Nice buck Ethan!!

congrats.👍
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Congrats on the buck KP I was never lucky enough to get one when I was young but I ate anything else I could shoot back in the old days. Mount might be expensive if nothing else you will always have pictures and a memory.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Looks like a nice healthy animal, and a great rifle. Those Modelo Chileno and the OVS versions are awesome historic rifles.
                  Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Way to go Ethan! Great harvest!
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Wtg !
                      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Ethan I love your story , man you were not in the zone
                        but your senses kicked in and glad you reloaded big mistake by so many .
                        what a beautiful buck . How many lbs ?

Comment

• Kentucky point
                          Kentucky point commented
                          Editing a comment
                          He weighed about 200 lbs. field dressed. Dragging him uphill was NOT fun, but worth it.

Nice shooting Ethan, great deer!

Comment

We learned of that Netflix show the meat eater how to make a back pack sling out of rope . Wayne takes one side I take the other and together we are able to go through creeks and mud with about that weight .
                          But by yourself I need a bucket with wheels .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                            Kentucky point commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The MeatEater. I love that show! My mom met the guy before he had a show, and they keep in contact on Facebook.Yeah, by myself, dragging is NOT fun, and I don't think i'm strong enough to carry one out yet, lol!.
                        Working...
                        X