A harbinger of a tough winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A harbinger of a tough winter?

I put up a nest box for fox squirrels a few years ago in a walnut tree in my yard. I’ve always enjoyed their company and they have a good home for raising young or to hold up during a winter storm. Well now the red squirrels have taken over the accommodations. They have filled the entire nest box with walnuts. We’re talking about twenty pounds of nuts! The box measures about 18”x 12”x12”. I don’t have the heart to clean out their winter larder. This is the first time this has happened. Do they know something we don’t about the upcoming winter?
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Methinks you maybe should build a couple more houses ...We’re starting to wear sweaters around here it got down to72 Last night...The rattlesnakes are growin fur, the seagulls are flyin to Texas and the fish are headed for Key West😉...I love that squirrel
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      😂I know what ya mean Hal. I grew up in Ft. Myers but was born in Michigan and prefer to live up here now. It got to overgrown and crazy down there for me and I love the changing seasons. That squirrel is a sweetheart.

I hope not. I’m predicting a mild winter. Course I always predict a mild winter. 🙂
    South Dakota

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      Mild by South Dakota standards might be different than regular Mild...

Reminds me of a neighbors dog one time
    NW Georgia,

Comment

That’s an awesome pic! Hope winter is not too bad for you northern folks.
      South Carolina

Comment

Ha ha! Reminds me of a news story I read about where Red squirrels filled up the engine compartment of a Chevy Avalanche with Black Walnuts. I believe there was over 100lbs total!
        South Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I apologize for my sense of humor

• Uncle Trav
          Uncle Trav commented
          Editing a comment
          😂🤣it was a good reference

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Saw that story yesterday….

Cool pic!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Was the mildest summer I can remember , never got to 100° rained all summer long, felt like was living in the tropics, last.winter we recorded the most days in a row ever where temperature did not get above freezing, business as usual with the wildlife, no new behavior to note, still not seeing sandhill cranes migrating, humming birds still coming through , got a saddle up attitude after last year's snows
          2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Uncle Trav
            Uncle Trav commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. We still have cranes and hummers hanging around here in Michigan. It was 80 degrees yesterday and the same is forecasted for today.

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
          Ha ha! Reminds me of a news story I read about where Red squirrels filled up the engine compartment of a Chevy Avalanche with Black Walnuts. I believe there was over 100lbs total!
          175 pounds…

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/squirre...owner-was-away
          Rhode Island

Comment

whats the color pattern of the wooly worm this year?

Comment

• Uncle Trav
              Uncle Trav commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately I haven’t seen any this year. Butterflies and moth populations are way way down in my area. Not a good thing.

Looks like your fox squirrels headed south! They are rare down here in FL but always a good time.

Comment

Working...
            X