Maryland Arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Arrowheads

Found these in Beltsville Maryland...don't know nothing about arrowheads, but a dealer said he never seen arrowheads made of this material. Can anyone help?

Welcome! kind of fuzzy pics, maybe you can take some better ones. Sure some of the folks from out your way will be along to give you some help.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Definitely need clearer pics.

Comment

Maybe these pics are better.

Comment

Other clearer pics

Comment

That looks like a modern point to me.  Check this out!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-1-45-i...item1e7ce79caf
            Notice the point on ebay it's shape is extremely similar to your point.  Notice at the top of the add it says "Non Native Crafts"!  So you found this? Not trying to be rude here but may I ask if it was in the ground? or just on top of it?
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I used to live -and- hunt in Beltsville MD.: never found anything like those! The fact that you have two of them is also problematic: seeded perhaps?
              If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I thought modern when the pics were fuzzy, but with a few of the clearer pics now it is definitely certain that they are modern.

Comment

I agree. Modern

Comment

yep,if someone took you arrowhead hunting they may have bought these at a craft store for you to "find"sorry.....

Comment

I had a chuckle when I read this post and was just waiting to see what was said about those (clearly modern) arrowheads before I posted this. I have an extremely strong suspicion that this guy is “to blame” for what you found:

His name is Jim Sanborn and he’s an artist and sculptor. He was commissioned to produce an art installation for “Indian Run Park” – a small green plot that sits beside the US Federal Courthouse in Beltsville, Maryland. It’s intended to be a celebration of the indigenous peoples’ contribution to the American legal system.
                      The installation was completed in 1994 and consists of an illuminated bronze cylindrical water feature surrounded by stone and gravel walkways. The light from the cylinder projects Onondaga text around the site at night. In addition, the site was “seeded” by the artist with 10,000 modern arrowheads, intended to be “recoverable by visitors for many years”. I don’t know where he got the arrowheads from, but those look suspiciously like Indian (Asian) agate. :laugh:
                      There’s some details about the installation here:

…and Jim Sanborn’s site is here:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

And now for the rest of the story...
                        Here's Paul Harvey... No it's Roger Lawrence.
                        Thanks Roger, That's some very interesting modern history.
                        Michigan Yooper
                        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

:woohoo: Roger, Lordy !

Comment

Roger, that was great! I could see they were modern, and the material was not usual.(at least from what I have seen from that region)But I was trying to figure out how they could have been found.
                            Thank you!
                            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Wow, nice surprise ending!
                              Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                              X