Clear Quartz in Ohio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Quartz in Ohio?

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum (first post). I started specifically artifact hunting this year and am FULLY hooked! I have always kept an eye to the ground, but until this year, had never gone in search of artifacts. With some help from a friend with similar interests, we took up the hobby. It has been an awesome way to spend what free time I have left between fishing and hunting seasons. I am from Central Ohio. I found a lot of neat stuff this spring/summer and am very eager to learn. I am very interested in artifacts and Native American history, but do not have nearly as much knowledge as I would like. I am hoping this site, with your help, will assist me in learning more about what I've found.
    I found the below clear quartz head and red (flint ridge?) point within 10' of one another earlier this year in Fairfield County. At first I thought the clear one was glass, but it scratches glass, and am sure its quartz, I assume. It is completely transparent, besides the fracture lines that cloud the view through it. The interior though, is flawless. I have never heard of anything like this in Ohio.
    I was also impressed and excited with the red one too. That was a fantastic day, and hopefully more to come!
    Can you help tell me what these points are called?
    What cultures are they from?
    Where is the clear on from? I have never seen any material like it in Ohio.

Below is a shot of the points/pieces I found at that site over the course of the spring, before crops came up.

Attached files 

hello and  :welcome:  wow,your off to a good start! ya, it looks like crystal quartz to me.(i love finding stuff made outta it!) we got alot of it here in R.I., and yer other stuff is cool too! im sure someone from yer area will chime in with a typology for ya, but in the mean time you can check em" out yerself if you go to the top of the page,on the right it says artifact resources,then check under A.head Identification and then yer region. i'll post the link though to get ya started.hope this helps!http://typology.overstreetid.com/reg...p?region_id=EC
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Welcome to the site and get prepared to learn.  This site has no end to the info represented by the members.  I like that quartz as well.  It's really
      cool.    I think Jay is right about the lithic.    Gary
      South Dakota

Comment

Nice!!  .. another one bitten by the artifact bug... Ruggles, next year you will be trying to make free time for hunting and fishing around your artifact collecting.lol..All my hunting and fishing buds just dont understand my passion for collecting and when i tell them that finding a beautiful worked point gives me that same thrill and excitement as shooting a 10pt buck with the bow they say im crazy.. Good luck with your new hobby and keep the pics coming.. Ron
        My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

Welcome and that is a heck of a find for the upper Midwest. Wonder if it traveled from the East coast or from way out West?
          Yeah, the artifact addiction is an odd one!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

:welcome: from Rhode Island. Tough to top crystal quartz   Very nice find!
            Rhode Island

Comment

:welcome: From Michigan U.P. Glad you could join us. That is some nice crystal quartz.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks guys! So what would the names of these points be? I had trouble identifying their type based on the resources.

Comment

Ruggles wrote:

Thanks guys! So what would the names of these points be? I had trouble identifying their type based on the resources.
                  Welcome to AH.com :welcome:  Both look to be from the woodland era. But I suck at typology.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                  X