Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 southern New England Arrowheads.com Gathering of the Greats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	321343 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	321344 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	321345 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	321346
    Rhode Island

Comment

Really wish I could have been there, hope you guys do it again some time. Great pictures.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        I brought you up man! You were gone but not forgotten!

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        lol I'll walk to the next one if I have to.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5D88B732-0863-4636-9446-79791E165EBD.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	321359 Lunatic as always,lol Click image for larger version  Name:	C0478273-7719-45ED-9DCE-14EE40A4C838.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	321360 we made a new friend Click image for larger version  Name:	D1131051-2A4F-4924-B1DF-FA8B06E19700.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	164.1 KB ID:	321361 Long story,lol. It was an honor having him there too, he’s famous btw! Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	image_47974.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	321362
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Some how, I envisioned you looking a little less crazy, lol!

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, yeah I’m a nut,lol

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Who's the bony lookin' guy?

Name:	B3ED8DA6-DA3A-4554-9225-3FCEAD06F92B.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	321364

Comment

what a great day! Great to see old friends and make new ones, even some from my own State I didn’t know about! Jay gets a big thanks for bringing this all together....we had a good variety of collectors from new to the game to the seasoned and very knowledgeable. Discussions are always abundant and everyone learns something new and we get to see a wide variety of some very awesome artifacts from our own region! Jay, I have to say your theory on the progression of stem technology and hafting had never occurred to me....I hadn’t put that part of the puzzle together for myself and I think your spot on...it all makes sense!

For those that are from others areas of the country...you should try and have a get together like this New England group has....fun, entertaining and most important, educational and making friends that share this weird hobby....you won’t regret a second of it!
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

Wish I could have been there.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          Wish you could have too bud !

• cgode
          cgode commented
          Editing a comment
          your name was brought up more than once Hoss....we wish you were there too!

WOW that's a great gathering. Thanks for sharing the day with us guys.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I didn't join in on the initial discussion Jay because I knew that I would not make it down this time
          And you have far to many fantastic photos to ask about each one.
          So how about putting a few names to some faces for those of us who are dying here of jealously. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_47943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	332.7 KB ID:	321404
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Jealous but with respect. Way to put it together and make it happen folks. Can't imagine being able to meet 20 some fellow Arrowhead.com fanatics all in one place. Thanks for sharing.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
              I didn't join in on the initial discussion Jay because I knew that I would not make it down this time
              And you have far to many fantastic photos to ask about each one.
              So how about putting a few names to some faces for those of us who are dying here of jealously. Click image for larger version Name:	image_47943.jpg Views:	1 Size:	332.7 KB ID:	321404
              Well, I can give it a shot, Bruce, but, shame on me, I forget a few names, and hopefully Jay can fill in what I forget.

From left to right: Jeff(JMatt, RI), Jeff's wife Mary Ellen, Charlie(CMD, RI), Red(redrocks, Ct.), Red's bro in law John, Ct., and who found the giant Levanna, Terry(TSUMS, Ma.), I forget, Jay(OnewiththewiLD, RI, holding arrowheads.com sign), I forget, but he is a local shellfisherman and friend of Jay who found the Cumberlandite net weight, I think Jay's cousin Brian is next, RI, wearing a brown tee shirt, Chris(cgode, Ct.), I forget, my friend and hunting partner Glen, wearing the red sweatshirt, Mark(footgepp, NH), Dave(looks2much, Ma.), and Ben(Pointhead).

Rhode Island

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                OnewiththewilD commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, the forgets in the order your going is my buddy and one’a my best friends Nate,Dave and his son Ross, both local guys who Jeff met at a beach one day. And also in attendence was Jeff’s brother and sister in law, my buddy Steve and his girl and her daughter, my boss Tom, and a friend of mine named Jay and his wife Jess, oh and 2 of Charlie’s friends from town too, I think Hugh and one other guy.
                Last edited by OnewiththewilD; 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM.

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, thanks, I was just going to correct that Dave was someone Jeff met, and the guy who found the cumberlandite weight. It's a small state and he remembered my friend Glen's brother, who had been a local shellfisherman. I remember your friend Nate was a history teacher, and I remember he walked with us one day not long after I had met you, Jay. And my two friends from in town, were Hugh, a high school classmate of mine, and his close friend Larry. They both brought nice finds. I told your friend Jay that a writeup will appear in The Transit, a newsletter of NEARA, describing his discovery of, and donation of, the research binder describing our NEARA research at Parker Woodland in the early 80's. It was very cool to see his first points as well.

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Charlie and Jay. One of these years 😔 I will make a meeting. I will be needing a huge drool bib first though. 😎

Recounting were up to 29-30 people

Comment

Great time for sure. I only really know one other person that's as into point hunting as I am, so it was a lot of fun to spend nearly 8 hours with a bunch of other addicts. Seeing all the finds was great, but my favorite things were making connections with other, like-minded, people and hearing their stories. I walked over to breathe in the vast collection of JMATT, I asked him what his favorite find was and he placed his perfect Hardaway Side Notch in my hand, what a beautiful piece, all I could think of though was someone accidentally bumping my elbow and dropping it, so I shoveled it back into his hand and then he showed me his Genesee and launched into the story of the find. Within seconds I was whisked away through his words--full adrenaline pumping--as he described finding 6 points in one small space including that beauty. His eyes lit like a four year old meeting Santa Clause as the words poured from his memory.

Another thing I loved was the understood "dam of secrecy", there's a mutual respect among us, you don't ask where, you don't name spots. This is something that dovetails perfectly with my background as a fisherman. You never ask "where"... it's just an understood code. And you can feel a kinship forming immediately when it becomes obvious that you're not there mining for exact locations. It really feels like a brotherhood and that felt almost familial to me. Furthermore, there was a genuine feeling coming from almost everyone there that they were psyched about each other's finds and so much information about what different styles were used for, why certain types of areas are more likely to have been inhabited by ancient man, I learned so much, I was dead tired by the time we left--I think I overworked my brain.

Then we come to Jay. I have 'known' Jay for a couple years, but only through texts and PMs. I have never seen anyone else that was so fluent in and comfortable speaking about ancient crafts. His logic is so sound that it makes perfect sense immediately. And his craftmanship is unparalleled--he could be making some pretty good side money making these things and selling them online, but I get the feeling it's not about that, it's not even about showing people what he can do, it's about his personal enjoyment and being a steward of all of these methods that would otherwise be lost to time. He was really in his element, freely and openly describing theories on haft evolution, teaching us how to knap, offering all of his tools and working stone to a crowd of novices. This dude is legit.

I'm going on and on here, sorry... but the last thing I'll say is that it was great to meet a few guys who are where I was just a few short years ago, hungry to find, but not yet grasping the concept of locations and cross-referencing them to find other likely spots. I'll be anxiously awaiting the finds from Footgep.

Best of luck to all you guys, in case you can't tell, I had a great time.

-Dave

Comment

It looks fun! New England is a little far though. Give me a few years, and I'll be there!
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well can't have a better day than this was...and Jay was what I expected and more...there's is no one more enthusiastic and into this hobby..and very knowledgeable too....and the knowledge of Charlie he knows his stuff..and all of y'all. Pointhead..lookstoomuch... tsums jmatt and c.gode
                    anyone I forgot real nice folks. Unbelievable amount of awesome artifacts from our region and my bro in law John is still going on about his giant Levanna that received big recognition from y'all.. it rekindled his love of the hobby ...and your cousin Brian too Jay...good kid. Lookin forward too the next one.. good job Jay....here's a few pics
                    Last edited by redrocks; 09-24-2018, 03:15 PM.
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                      OnewiththewilD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Red, it was a pleasure meeting you and your brother in law, your both great guys and I’m really glad you’s made it, and tell him he has every reason to gloat over that Levanna! That’s the nicest one I’ve ever personally handled!

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	321531 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	321536 ki
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by redrocks; 09-24-2018, 02:30 PM.
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                    X