Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Dug Out Canoe Discovered in Lousiana .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Dug Out Canoe Discovered in Lousiana .

Check out this huge Dug out a couple folks found while taking a walk along the Red River.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Thanks Matt, The canoe is huge and beautiful. I really like how they carved the seats out. It survived because of the material (Cyprus).
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_60173.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	367886 I think they used these large canoes as "mother ships" to gather food and materials from smaller groups or foraging people..

This one was on the shoreline at a rather smallish shell midden in Tampa Bay
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom , they found one in Fl after the hurricane right

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember seeing an article about a canoe being found after the last big hurricane but can't remember where. I'll be on the lookout after any big storms this year....

That’s huge!!

They found one about ten miles from me several years ago during a good summer drought, maybe 2012, but I can’t remember. It was in the Saline River a very short distance from a very popular local swimming hole. No telling how many people had floated over it for the past 1,000 years or so. The river is normally only 2or 3 feet deep where it was found, but a lack of rain left the river well below normal, and some locals found it. They reported it and it was taken out and moved to a nearby pond to prevent rains from covering it and from decaying from exposure. I don’t know where it is now.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Holy Crap! Seminole Sailing Service! In all seriousness, that is an incredible find.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That's cool Matt!
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

A few more pics of the Red River find
            Robert Cornett and Jeanna Bradle noticed the 33-foot-long craft sticking out of the mud on the Red River north of Shreveport in Louisiana two weeks ago.
            If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Amazing discovery.
              California

Comment

The accounts of Desoto’s crossing of the Mississippi River and the Quapaw who came to “greet them” in canoes, with the Cheiftan riding in the raised seat accompanied by many warriors....this had to be something like it. That thing would probably hold 15-20 people....
                the Caddo used the rivers for trade and transport of goods as much as travel. I imagine this thing was like a barge.

Comment

very cool find!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Cool find! That one actually looks to be in really solid condition.

There are many of them in Florida, the problem with the Florida examples is that they are so difficult/costly to recover, preserve, protect, and store. You can't really Gomerize one of them with Duco and Acetone, it takes a team, a couple of years, and a lot of money to preserve one. (And then most visitors to the museum will only see a rotten log.) When archaeologists find them they usually just take a sample to date them, and then cover them back up. Newnans Lake and other lakes near Gainesville have thousands of them buried in the sediment.

This is a two minute video of a cache of 101 archaic canoes that a high school science class found in 2000.

Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, that’s really cool!

Comment

Here’s a link to them bringing the one back they found here...I was off a few years. 1999. Man, I’m getting old.

Comment

The NA's would sink a canoe to conceal it, so it could not be stolen.........some have been found with the rocks still in the bottom.

Comment

• Jethro355
                            Jethro355 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That’s crazy.
                            I mean to me it’s crazy, but I guess it’s easier to refloat one than make a new one??

I bet it was hard to turn seeing it was so long. Interesting find thanks for sharing that
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                          X