X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST SCRAPER CONTEST

Best Scraper Contest
    Sometimes it’s a little difficult to include or exclude an artifact in the “scraper pool”. Most will agree that an artifact that was made to serve primarily as a scraper has a steep bevel on the working edge. Your entries should fall into one of these major categories of scrapers.
    1. End Scraper: The scraper has a steep bevel on the end and is usually unifaced. Some are teardrop shaped and made on a common flake. Some are made on a blade from a core.
    2. Side Scraper: The scraper has a steep bevel on the side or on two sides. They are usually unifaced.
    3. Hafted Scraper: These scrapers are usually repurposed from a broken or worn point. They have either a stemmed or notched base and are bifaced.
    4. Hand-Held Scraper: These scrapers very often have a steep bevel on the entire circumference and are usually unifaced.
    In the first round you can vote for as many as you like (vote with your thank you). The contenders for the second round will be the scrapers with the most thank you votes.
    The top scrapers will move on to the second round where you will have one vote for your favorite scraper.
    You only have 24 days to make your entries: June 1st to June 24th. You will have 3 days to vote for your favorite scraper: June 27-29.
    All members are welcome and encouraged to enter. We’re asking that you enter one scraper per post and make lots and lots of posts. Enter as many scrapers as you like and then enter some more. Most of you already know how much I love scrapers so make my day (or month) and flood this contest with lots of scrapers. The winner of the Best Scraper Contest will receive a copy of the renowned Overstreet Guide.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Not an entry:
    This teardrop end scraper was found near Pollock North Dakota on the White Bull Site. This scraper is a very typical shape. The scraper is unusual in that it is bifaced: Most of these are unifaced. Look for the use wear fractures on the lower edge of the distal end. This scraper was used on hard material such as wood or bone and was hafted in a socketed handle. It measures 1 1/8 X 7/8 X ¼ inch.
    Catching some rays,  Bottom side,  Top side

Distal End,  Left Lateral Edge,  Right Lateral Edge

Michigan Yooper

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

That's a fine piece. Great job on capturing the usage in the pics!

Comment

Side Scraper. Personal find from Central Illinois.

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

What a beautiful Clovis artifact!

Comment

Thanks Steve. That means a lot coming from you....I mean that.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

This is my favorite hafted scraper.

Comment

This hafted scraper has got to be on the very small end of the spectrum.

Comment

Hey Jason, Nice hafted scraper. I have a few like that.
                  The ancient user liked it so much that he/she never wanted to give it up.
                  Michigan Yooper

Comment

Not an Entry
                    This Arkansas end scraper was made on a blade from a core. It is unifaced and measures 1 3/16 X ¾ X ¼ inch.
                    Top Side,  Bottom Side

Distal End, Left Lateral Edge, Right Lateral Edge

Michigan Yooper

Comment

About the size of a quarter, this is made from a imported lithic type unknown.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Here is a classic teardrop shape scraper. Personal find from central Illinois.

Comment

Not an Entry
                          This teardrop shaped end scraper is from Arkansas. The orange chert is chock full of fossils. The scraper was made on a common flake and is unifaced. Nothing special about the shape but you have to love that lithic. Scraper measures 1 3/16 X 15/16 X 5/16 inch.

Michigan Yooper

Comment

So far so good, I'll get my entries in soon.
                            Game on.
                            It looks as if we have some gooduns.
                            Jess B.
                            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                            Circa:1982

Comment

I'll throw this one in right now( More to come)I think this is what ya'll are calling tear drop

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Working...
                              X