Asking permission today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking permission today

I’m off today and the hardest part for me in this hobby is asking permission. I need some fields to walk after all the rain we have had. First place I went to I’m sure everyone has heard all of the excuses. There ain’t no arrow points out there, then we’ll even if there was something the plow cuts them up. I then offered a trade like steaks and pies but finally he just said no. I gracefully excused myself and said ty for taking the time. Went to another property and the owner asked about snakes. I told them I wear boots. Then he said well the creeks are slippery I said I use a stick for balance and am very careful. Then he said we have coyotes I said I can carry a pistol if you prefer. So after all that I’m going home and change into my hunting clothes and heading back out 😁 wish me luck!!! It’s hard to ask permission but sometimes you just need a new place.
    NW Georgia,

Wow.. good luck
    SW Connecticut

Comment

I have image of you as quiet, gentle giant. I know it’s probably as hard for you to talk sometimes as it is for me to shut up, and I am proud and happy that you are hunting new ground! (Also know you wouldn’t carry gun in case of coyotes!)
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah yes, them were the freestyle days, when a gun was standard equipment ...

I feel for you Glenn, I only ever asked a couple of times...it’s mentally frustrating, which is diametrically opposed to why we hunt...I’m glad you’re lookin for new ground...Can’t wait to see those cool finds...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Well I went water was high didn’t see any coyotes but saw a raccoon and a turkey. I found some evidence and will return when the water drops a couple of feet. I found some good and negative. Good was 2 pieces of pottery and a nice worked piece of black flint but not finished so barley a preform. The negatives were a tick in 30 minutes crawling on me and a slippery bank going in on my rear. Banks were very steep looked like solid ground until I took the 2nd step. But luckily for me I can still take a tumble with minimum damage.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I remember you hurtin’ a leg from tumble once; good this time butt absorbed momentum! And, at least cute lil’ masked bandit baddest creature you saw (altho tick woulda been if you hadn’t seen him!). Once, broke both ankles, learned to “walk” on butt, crawl on belly like snake. (Hated that #%!*£¥!! wheelchair!). If ever should choose these methods getting around, know have also chosen to assume risk of bellybutton tick!

22 pistol and bird shot is pretty standard for me. Good for cotton mouths.

Cant wait to see what ya pull outta that creek.
        Western Kentucky

Comment

Good luck out there. I’m glad we only have one poisonous snake in Michigan and they are rare...thankfully.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Hope you find some killers in your new spot!
            South Carolina

Comment

I agree with about getting permission especially this day in time. I've been rejected numerous times because some think I'm one of those that sell artifacts on Ebay for large amounts of money.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Right Mike I think I have lost permission to quartz creek cause the son thinks I’m selling them that I find which isn’t the case. I will give things away I find like pottery and preform types but I’ve never sold any. The father owns it but I think the son might of taken over the property which is sad. It’s not like he can find them but I hope he tries lol
                NW Georgia,

Comment

I confess...I am probably in the bottom percentile talent for identifying points and knowledge of Native American culture on this website.
                  However, I would bet I can walk a field with the best of them and boast a pretty good track record for permission.

Tips...
                  1. OnX maps...I can find the address of every landowner in seconds.
                  2. Honesty and integrity. Perhaps years as a game warden and a teacher helped sharpen skills just talking to people.
                  3. Take Nuther One with you.

At a time where most complain they are losing hunting ground...I cannot keep up with all of the properties I have permission to hunt. I prioritize based on success. I actually have people approaching me to hunt their land with my son!

Track record...out of dozens and dozens of encounters, I have only been denied once.

I actually look forward to asking permission...I get to hear stories. Most farmers share a brief history, point you in the right direction, etc.

Flint
                  northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Consider yourself lucky then flint. It could be the development of the town I live in with the land prices tripled I think many are thinking about selling and some already have. I still have a few properties to look on but there is nothing like a fresh place seeing I’m finding less every year in my other places. I used to find 150 points a year now I’m finding maybe 50 per year that are frame worthy. New places have new finds. Guess I’m getting to good and cleaning my regular places out.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Surface Hunter,
                      I am super lucky! I pinch myself every time I walk with son, father, friend, dog, or self.
                      Also, thank you for a numbers example...now I know what to aspire to!
                      I feel like some people see numbers in the world more readily than others...I am one of them. I appreciate that.
                      Flint
                      northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Hey Glenn, do you have any friends who have hunting leases or clubs? There are a lot of leased land clubs around here and all of them have water/streams, creeks etc... On them. Normally hunters create food plots and that's really what you need. It's just a thought. Know you couldn't hunt during season but after the season is over you probably could.
                        South Carolina

Comment

To Josie. There isn’t any place around for hunting clubs I have two properties that I’ve hunted on for more than 5 years that didn’t used to be hunting clubs but now are. But other than that no. Just not many open spaces big enough anymore in this area. I still have 4 creeks I’m allowed on
                          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                          X