This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo? Archaic? Help Me Out!

I acquired this 20 years ago for a case of beer. A friend found this in Muskingum County, Ohio, while hunting for ground hogs, lying in the fresh dirt beside the ground hog hole. It's 2 3/8" long by 1" wide, the base is not ground, and I believe the material is Upper Mercer Chert. I've never been sure of it's I.D. and would like to ask this great panel we have here. Thanks for your thoughts and replies. Paul

It looks like a holcombe point, 10,000 b.p.
    cool find B)

Comment

Paul, first off I must point out that I never walk past a groundhog hole without looking. Found my first celt here in Stark Co. next to a groundhog hole. Nice black piece, will have to post sometime. As far as the point goes I would have to categorize that as an unfluted clovis. Looked up all the other types with auriculate bottoms from Ohio region and that is all that it matches. Well worth the case of beer for sure. The beer is gone my friend but you still have the point!!!
        I would let some other more experienced paleo folks chime in but that is what I would think it was.-Bill

Comment

Paul
        Are you sure that point is not ground, from the picture it looks ground on bottom third of the base, where that slight kickback is on the left side of point on bottom picture. This looks paleo and I would say unfluted Clovis, like Bill said. Lets us know on the grinding.
        Holcombe Culture from what I know is not found in Ohio.

Jack

Comment

Holcombe are a far west point aren't they Jack. The Holcombe's I have seen are usually made out of obsidian and awesomely flaked. I know in alot of Hothem's books there are many unfluted clovis points found in Ohio, I didn't dig one out to look for info on this but I am certain that Muskingham Co. has produced massive amounts of paleo artifacts as I remember seeing them in his books-Bill

Comment

Bill
            Correction: The Holcombe is not a west coast point I was thinking Humbolt but saying Holcombe; which is found in Ontario and Michigan, as well as northern Ohio and northern Pennsylvania and western New York. MacGrub -and- Ryan are correct in this.
            Jack

Comment

What about a Wheeler Excurvate.

Comment

Jack, No, that side edge is not ground, but maybe resharpened, and the bevel at the base may be ground at the upper portion, but not at the actual base. Paul

Comment

Hey Paul! Ill give ya 4 cases of beer for it! Like Jack said it looks ground? Its paleo for sure.

Comment

wmwallace wrote:

Paul, first off I must point out that I never walk past a groundhog hole without looking. Found my first celt here in Stark Co. next to a groundhog hole. Nice black piece, will have to post sometime. As far as the point goes I would have to categorize that as an unfluted clovis. Looked up all the other types with auriculate bottoms from Ohio region and that is all that it matches. Well worth the case of beer for sure. The beer is gone my friend but you still have the point!!!
                      I would let some other more experienced paleo folks chime in but that is what I would think it was.-Bill
                      Thanks Bill, and Yes, the beer is gone and the point lives on! I thought the same by having Hothem's books, classifying it as an unfluted clovis, but I've never been sure and have never had such expert opinions as I do here, so I needed to ask. Thanks everyone for your input! Paul

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

Hey Paul! Ill give ya 4 cases of beer for it! Like Jack said it looks ground? Its paleo for sure.
                        Let me ponder???? 4 Cases of Beer, An effigy pipe with tobacco, preferably green,......wait a minute, that's how I got the artifact!! No, I can't trade, but thanks for the offer! LOL

Comment

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :woohoo:

Comment

Paul
                          If this is not ground then not sure it is an unfluted Clovis, but it sure looks like an unfluted Clovis. Will need to think about it a while. There are other points that look similar to this, like Candy Creek which does not have basal grinding, has random flaking like yours, but most of those are found further south.
                          Paul can you take a side shoot of just the base where I think it is ground?
                          Jack

Comment

I'd say Holcombe , worth several Kegs imo. Nice point.

Comment

Ryan
                              I do not think Holcombe culture is found in Ohio.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X