New Evidence for Paleolithic Occupation of the Eas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Evidence for Paleolithic Occupation of the Eas

New Evidence for Paleolithic Occupation of the Eastern North American Outer Continental Shelf at the Last Glacial Maximum
    Introduction
    Researchers have postulated the presence of submerged archaeological deposits on the Middle Atlantic continental shelf of North America for decades (Emery and Edwards 1966; Edwards and Emery 1977; Kraft et al. 1983). However, archaeological discoveries on the continental shelf made during commercial shellfish dredging have gone unrecorded or have escaped detection. By contrast, numerous vertebrate remains including the bones, teeth, and skulls of mammoth, mastodon, and walrus have been reportedly discovered by deep-sea fishermen and dredgers on the continental shelf (Edwards and Merrill 1977; Whitmore et al. 1967). In 1974, Captain Thurston Shawn and the crew of Cinmar, a scallop trawler working 100 km east of the Virginia Capes, were dredging at a depth of 70 m (Fig.
    5.1). Just after starting their run, the dredge became very heavy and when reeled in, it contained a mastodon skull. While cleaning the bone from the dredge, a large bifacially flaked rhyolite knife was discovered. Shawn carefully plotted the water depth and the exact location of the find on his navigation charts and noted that all of these items were dredged at the same time. To expedite getting back to dredging, the Cinmar crew broke up the skull and removed the tusks and teeth for souvenirs, throwing the rest of the bone overboard. Later the tusks were sawn into pieces and distributed among the crew.
    https://www.academia.edu/8000103/New...lacial_Maximum
    \"For you were made from dust, and to dust you will return.\"

Why is the Cinmar Blade discovery being reported as if it were "NEW" evidence? It makes it sound as if there has been some development such that there is now more evidence than previously.
    I believe this was recently included in (maybe written for?) Amanda Evans' "Prehistoric Archaeology on the Continental Shelf: A Global Review" which - although published this year, is essentially just a comprehensive compilation of what we already knew?
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I've noticed this popping up in a few places, it appears folks are not realizing this info is old news. Everyyime I see it though, I always think to myself....cool, new stuff for the east.....then, the let down! Dang it!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Working...
      X