Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site and my ideas

Hi Y'all
    Im new to this site but have been lurking for a bit.
    The vast majority of people on this site sam to be quite intelligent so I would like to put my random musings of the peopling of the new world to letter and ask for thoughts and feedback.
    I am in my mid 40s born in the U.K and have spent the last 25 years living in east Texas. I have always been interested in pre columbian American natives. Thru my endless reading on the subject I have come up with my own ideas.
    First I think 2 migrations with 2 different population groups. The first coming from Japan, Korea China area in a coastal migration. This culture was a seafaring group good exploiting coastal flora and fauna. I feel this group was generally peaceful as their culture developed with little or no competition for resources. I feel this migration started around 16k ybp. This is the group of people who ended up in Chile . I feel they stayed coastal and had a lithic technology that fitted marine mammals fish and medium game. Rapid expansion, but never very large numbers of people.
    The second migration was the people we know as the Clovis. DNA has proven where these folks came from and I have no reason to think they came from anyplace else. These people "grew up" if you will, in a VERY tough time in a VERY tough environment. Competition for resources often led to war and bloodshed, thats why they left. Fallowing the land bridge they ended up in the south central U.S, say Colorado Oklahoma Texas area where they came up with the "Clovis point". They came up with this new point all on their own, no help from any French/Spanish people who managed to stumble thousands of miles across the Atlantic and forgot to bring their knowledge of art and archery. These new people spread rapidly thru the continent replacing the culture as they moved.
    Again this is just my thoughts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    David

Welcome to AH.com Dave  :welcome:
    The peopling of the America's is a debate that has gone on for a long time. New theory's are being explored, and on the cutting edge of Science and archaeology to anthropology. With all that the best we can do is hypothetical. Who is to say that there was not an indigenous people already here. Who or where the technology came from is always unfolding. Those that introduce new theory's compelling, but not fact.. Date ranges vary even in the same culture. The one thing I am convinced of and resonated with was water ways were a super highway for moving information and technology throughout the Americas.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Animal husbandry.  If there was ever a indigenous population in the America's animal husbandry would have been well established before the end of the last ice age as it was in most other parts of the world

Comment

Welcome to the site David,  and thanks for sharing your ideas.  It is always nice and fun to hear other thoughts and opinions on issues.  I wonder if we will ever know for sure,  although as you said,  I think some of the information is agreed upon by most.
        South Dakota

Comment

rvdave wrote:

Animal husbandry.  If there was ever a indigenous population in the America's animal husbandry would have been well established before the end of the last ice age as it was in most other parts of the world
          I will grant you that. and even agree. But I know of two quarries of stone lithic's that have been found in a Clovis site  but those artifacts have not been found in those locations. The puzzle of pieces are changing, and have been. I for one will not make a statement of any that is defiant . We still have more to learn, and that will always be unfolding.
          Just my opinion
          I am always after the truth and thoughts are what gets us to the truth but temper it with facts. just saying.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I just want to welcome a fellow east Texan, :welcome:
            east Tx.

Comment

I buy into the theory of a culture also coming from Spain-France traveling across the glacial Atlantic ice sheet.  Unfortunately, that's going to be a hard theory to nail down as the coastal east coast sites are now under rather deep water.  It is a theory that makes the vested "Clovis First" archeologists really crazy, so maybe there's something to it!

Comment

:welcome: From east TN!
                  Your in the right place,  glad you joined!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

:welcome:  from central Mn

Comment

:welcome: from SE Virginia -and- NC's Outer Banks!
                    Love your first topic! You're going to fit right in!!  :rolf:  :rolf:
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome Dave! Nice to have you here.
                      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by rvdave post=146384
                        I will grant you that. and even agree. But I know of two quarries of stone lithic's that have been found in a Clovis site  but those artifacts have not been found in those locations. The puzzle of pieces are changing, and have been. I for one will not make a statement of any that is defiant . We still have more to learn, and that will always be unfolding.
                        Just my opinion
                        I am always after the truth and thoughts are what gets us to the truth but temper it with facts. just saying.
                          Its a watered down version of my thoughts for sure, and I hope I have offended no one

Comment

hudson wrote:

I just want to welcome a fellow east Texan, :welcome:
                          From your name Im thinking you pretty close to me, Im in Nac

Comment

clambellies wrote:

I buy into the theory of a culture also coming from Spain-France traveling across the glacial Atlantic ice sheet.  Unfortunately, that's going to be a hard theory to nail down as the coastal east coast sites are now under rather deep water.  It is a theory that makes the vested "Clovis First" archeologists really crazy, so maybe there's something to it!
                            I do love a friendly debate.
                            Lets look at a few simple things. Solutreans are known for their distinctive stone points and probably extensive use of wood as it looks like they hafted points and knives. This indicates to me they hunted and lived at the edge of the ice at most, not a true culture familiar with spending long periods of time on the ice. So crossing in large enough numbers to populate a continent seems kinda unlikely to me.
                            If you look in Siberia for "clovis" you will find none. IMHO this is because the culture in that part of the world lived on the ice and on the steppes where lithics and wood is scarce. This proves to me that it was a culture more then capable of crossing ice sheets as it was their home, at least part time.

Comment

rvdave wrote:

Not necessarily... because as you can see there were indingenous populations living here only 150 years ago, quite successfully actually, still as hunter gatherers. One of my thoughts regarding the Clovis culture and the Paleo period in general is that Nomadic people, which they were, can cover a lot of territory in a very short time. And I don't see that period as being a very harsh one at all. Maybe by todays standards of living for western civilized people, but back then I imagine it as a paradise. Not a lot of conflict going on in general because there couldn't have been much of a competition for resources.
                              If I'm not mistaken there are sites in Chile that predate 20,000 b.p.  .

Comment

Working...
                              X