No announcement yet.

Woodruff Museum, over 30,000 artifacts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodruff Museum, over 30,000 artifacts!

The Woodruff Museum of Indian Artifacts in Bridgeton, N.J. houses over 30,000 artifacts and hundreds of restored pots. I took a fascinating tour and had a great conversation there a few years back with two of the elder gentlemen who did the hunting and a lot of the restoration. It was always open for free on Saturday mornings. Unfortunately both have since passed and the last time I went one of the librarians opened the exhibit for me for a self-guided tour. But anyone who lives within reasonable driving range should make it a point to check this out, especially if you have youngsters. It's a fascinating place. Scroll down to view a video of the exhibits. Wasn't sure which thread to add this to, thought this was the best place for it. Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this forum...if it has I apologize for the duplication

:http://bridgetonlibrary.org/museum-2/
    North Wildwood, New Jersey (Cape May county)

Also, only ten minutes away from Bridgeton, in Greenwich, NJ is another extensive collection of artifacts at the Greenwich Prehistory Society Museum. They also sell shadow boxes and other materials and books for collectors there:

Comment

Thanks for the tips and yes, this is the best place for such posts about museums.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I collect artifacts from new jersey....good stuff...I am originally from there as well..

Comment

Looks like a very nice museum, absolutely love the song in the video

Comment

Hey shorespoint from Tennessee. Doubt that I'll ever make the trip but you never know. However, I'm with p kurt I'd love to know the title of that son. We only got to hear part of it. Anyway you could find out about the artist or the song?? Actually I went ahead and emailed the library to see if they could assist. ...Chuck
            Last edited by Scorpion68; 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM. Reason: Add the email comment.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• shorespoint
              shorespoint commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, Chuck...I'l l see if i can track down that song. I play...maybe I can pick it up.....

The guys who put this museum together would hunt by probing the Pinelands until they found a campsite. Then they would excavate when it was still legal here. So most of the collection is Woodland...but there's still plenty of finds there dating back to all periods..

Comment

here is the song in the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZk1CvsDSZc

Comment

Originally posted by Mojomike View Post
                here is the song in the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZk1CvsDSZc
                Thanks, Mojomike! Downloaded and stored....

Comment

• Mojomike
                  Mojomike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glad i could help,it is a fantastic song.
              Working...
              X