No announcement yet.

Salvage Archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received an email once from an Anthropologist friend who named a person that reported illegal digging in a river. The person who made the report was called an "Informant" by the anthropologist. I wrote and asked why call this person an "informant". My feeling is it gives the impression of cloak and dagger. Or a world war two spy novel. LOL I was told that is how people get described when speaking among other professionals in the anthropological, Archaeological sciences. Rather than name names they just call a person who makes a report of activities an informant.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if I told an Anthropologist of a site I discovered, would they just attribute this site to an informant rather than give credit where due? Lord knows I shared a ton of info with a ton of people back in CT but they just kept it to themselves.

Actually Hoss little old me can add to this . I have a friend that's an Archeologist here in Hawaii .The co he contracts for is spcificaly hired to just sit, sift and over see construction sites in Hawaii . They basically over here are looking for bone , burial
    sites or anything of value historically to the state .
    They catalogue all finds and yes they are put away
    for the state or property owner . I think it's an individual that makes that opinion on who looks at it . This guy would have said to you come on over
    Buddie and talked your head off on your interests .
    Maybe it was a state job , rules, where is your hard hat kind of we don't need a law suit deal from an injury .
    I have a pic of some coins from a Howard Hughes dig in Honolulu . So bottom line it's the co / person
    They really should had let you on . You probably could have helped the person catalogue the property . I asked aren't you guys tempted and they said no it's our job we keep it clean there
    are to many open areas to risk our job and reputation so most people don't take things .

Comment

Working...
    X