Secrets of Spanish Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of Spanish Florida

Have any of you seen this on PBS? Eye opening history you weren't taught in school.
    St. Augustine settled 42 years before Jamestown. When Plymouth Rock happened there were 150 homes and shops. The first road in America. The Spanish fort, Castillo de San Marcos built in the 17th century of Coquina shells so the shock of cannonballs was absorbed rather than blown apart. Freed slaves that caused huge problems for the British and Americans. The first Thanksgiving. The whole city burned to the ground by the British leaving two inches of identifiable layer. Really good watch.

Join a team of archaeologists, scientists and historians as they reveal the little-known history of America’s Spanish colonists who settled in Florida in 1565, long before Jamestown or Plymouth were founded. Narrated by actor Jimmy Smits. (

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Yeah, I know it was broadcast the day after Christmas, I had it on, and did not pay close enough attention. I'll try again, lol. Looking at your link, that tribe that hid out sounds like a very interesting story in and of itself. Thanks for pointing this out, Greg.
    Rhode Island

Comment

The English were certainly well aware of the Spanish presence in 1607 as they embarked for the Chesapeake region. Their Virginia Company charter specifically required them to find a defensible position with navigable water out of sight of Spanish ships who might enter the Bay. The Jamestown site met that criteria, despite its other shortcomings.
      Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks Greg. I will be watching it as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
        X