Set in Stone - Bannerstones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set in Stone - Bannerstones

An interesting read on bannerstones in the journal Archaeology.

Why did prehistoric Native Americans fashion the enigmatic objects known as bannerstones?

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Hi Greg. Thanks for bringing this very interesting and informative article to our attention. It gives me great pause to consider those that I found, all of which were broken at the place where the hole was drilled. The ones I had were all made of either a banded slate like the beautiful artifact in your photo or from greenstone. Both of these lithics are relatively soft as rocks go thus are more easily drilled.

Comment

I think the bannerstone mystery will stay a mystery. Everyone has excellent theories, but those are based on what we might " think " they were used for. I'm not sure even after lengthy research, anyone will pinpoint the exact, one use for these. I often wondered if they served as currency between cultures, or tribes. From one camp site of Archaic people to another from a different region, maybe these were gifts or currency to obtain meat or materials needed to survive. Tanned skins for clothing, food, wood, etc. A lot of customs are handed down from one generation to the next. The Plains Indians did this a lot. They would trade a nice catlinite pipe for a metal knife. Or a buffalo robe could buy 10 tanned deer hides. A Plains Indian warrior would offer material gifts to the father of his intended bride to secure, or buy, the maiden before marraige. We might be shocked and surprised if we lived 5,000 years ago and saw what a lot of the artifacts we collect were actually used for!
      http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Greg - thanks for posting this article. It's amazing to watch the analysis that went into resolving the purpose of the Bannerstone. Anyone who is involved in artifact collecting will tell you that the Ancients did everything with a purpose. Little if anything was decorative and without purpose. It's taken awhile but I think the basic purpose has been established as a counter weight for the atlatl. Now we'll see how it evolves from there. Very very interesting.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Awesome reading. I love bannerstones as well as birdstones. I've only found small pieces of them. That would be my ultimate find to unearth a complete bird or banner!😊

Comment

I agree they were not used as an atlatl same with boat stones
            the butterfly shape and movements would not work
            the fact that it is not wide spread over the states or north America would suggest a use that was different.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Great read...thanks for the post.

Hoss...any ideas on the limits of distribution of these things? I see the article says eastern US, but also mentions site in Kentucky, and Kentucky touches Arkansas....so I’m hopeful. I’ve never seen one, and might crap my pants if ever I happened upon one....
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

They are in Arkansas so you might have that dream come true in your pants yet!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I don’t think there is one specific use for them. Some were used as a counterweight for spear throwers but I suspect some were weights for the spear itself and others were ornamental and ceremonial items.

Von
                  Last edited by Von; 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

talk About a find !!! I found a half a goreget once but that would truly be a find of a life time .... don’t think we will ever truly know .... u know all the different shapes is what has me puzzled , as Von said they might have different purposes ...
                    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                    NW Arkansas

Comment

Interesting subject and article. Sometimes a mystery is more interesting. Does seem odd they haven’t figured it out yet. I would think if they were found with the antler and hook often, then that would be significant.
                      South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                      X