Brazil's Museum Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazil's Museum Fire

The only good news is that it was after hrs. and nobody was hurt.

200-year-old Rio institution gutted.
    Brazil’s oldest and most important historical and scientific museum has been consumed by fire, and much of its archive of 20 million items is believed to have been destroyed.

what could be lost in the fire?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...st-in-the-fire
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

That is a horrible loss. I am wondering if the small stuff that was carried out will be returned or if it was opportunistic looters.🤔
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow, that is devastating. I was not familiar with that meteorite, and don't know what the melting point would be for that, but that's the only thing I can think of that might survive. Somewhat. What a shame to lose all that.
      Rhode Island

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought of you and think of coming into the earths atmosphere .. it’s fine if they can find it .

Of course the guardian make it political

Comment

Yea - I saw that this morning. That's got to be devastating. Can you imagine one of the Smithsonian buildings burning down and losing everything in it?
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Remember this is what they have on display for the public . Don’t want to sound insensitive but ....

Comment

An event like this is bound to have a political component within the nation where the event took place. Because none of us here live in Brazil, are Brazil citizens, or are of Brazilian ancestry(I can only presume the latter), then the politics involved is simply something we cannot be expected to be privy to. However, that there is, for Brazilians themselves, a political component, has become a huge part of the story. Simply witness the hundreds or thousands of Brazilian citizens angrily attempting to storm the gates of the museum yesterday, and that fact is brought home. If, on the other hand, we single out news outlets that we disagree with, for focusing on some of the political issues generated within Brazil by this tragic loss, then we are forgetting what we agreed to abide by on our forum:

Can we all agree to keep politics out of the forum please. I like seeing any news that has to do with our hobby albeit it is often bad news. If you consider

Brazilians are enraged. This is something that they will have to work out for themselves. But we should not blame news outlets for highlighting a huge part of the story, even as we ourselves, as non-Brazilians, can really only share their sense of loss, a tragic loss, of artifacts, documents, fossils, meteorites, etc. But we are free to utilize ANY news organ we chose to learn more about that loss and the political ramifications within Brazil, if that happens to be of interest to us. It's a part of the story. It does not mean we have to introduce our own political opinions into the story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	317354

Rhode Island

Comment

A shame, alot of history lost.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

People working in a dangerous situation trying to save equipment and artifacts.

Name:	1536082997123.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	317617
                The meteorite was not destroyed.

Name:	https_%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F839321%2F9efa5112-99af-49cd-a344-aba4b104d9ef.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	317618

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hopefully we will find over the next few days or weeks that some was saved rather than lost. It does not matter who reports this news. We all know the picture gets painted in differing ways by differing sources. I would prefer to read between the lines. Rather than make it about politics, blame, or fault I would rather make it about the great loss to humanity. That is the real story. The loss not who to blame for it.
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X